Talk some sense into me please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels?

As this is the internet, although we're joking, I feel compelled to say please do not go knocking off cannabis stores.
Oh now I get it. I have not seen that but I think I get the idea.

I messaged the seller he said the transmission slips in overdrive so Id need a transmission but the 4L80E isn't too terribly expensive.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show up in Moneyopolis and blend in with the rioters.

Free stuff every night, starting at sundown. "BYOB"--Bring Your Own Bricks.

Mayors and Governor don't give a ****. They're rioting NOW because the authorities wouldn't put down the riots previously.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A Ford powered by a Chevy? Subscribed! Has it been done before? Probably! This is your work truck, right? So it doesn't have to be pretty and you guys (the State) don't even check for emissions, right?

Some custom engine to frame mounts, custom transmission crossmember mount, and custom driveshaft at the minimum. Are you planning on a Carb or TBI? Or a Vortec? The only issue I see is the gauges. Truck is going to be down for some time while you sort things out...

Is your tranny going out too? Why not a Triton 5.4 Swap? I think those should be pretty easy to source and they are pretty reliable. I forget the whole 2V vs 3V, and they still have the spark plug issue?

Otherwise probably better to sell the Ford and get a Chevy. Can the utility box be swapped? Or is it specific to the Ford? I used to see a lot of GMT400 C3500 and C3500HDs with those utility beds around here for around $2500-$4000, either from AT&T or the railroad companies. I seem to recall they had low miles for the year and engine and interior always looked better than any comparable "regular" 3/4 or 1 ton.

I've seen quite a few chevy stang's in my life...parts r cheaper to replace when u throw parts thru other parts drag racing.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few chevy stang's in my life...parts r cheaper to replace when u throw parts thru other parts drag racing.

True...I've seen a few of them LS-powered Mustangs. LOL

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I usually drive like an old man here in this crazy city traffic, but I gotta say, that car seems REALLY fun to drive.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a SBC in my 81 mustang in 96 or 97ish. Basically stock and never had a 302 out run me. Look at some of the early two ton dump trucks, they had 350s, I had a dually with a 350 and one with a 454. The 454 had lil more torque but not enough to justify the mpg and down the road the 350 pulled harder

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a SBC in my 81 mustang in 96 or 97ish. Basically stock and never had a 302 out run me. Look at some of the early two ton dump trucks, they had 350s, I had a dually with a 350 and one with a 454. The 454 had lil more torque but not enough to justify the mpg and down the road the 350 pulled harder
That's what I figured if a 350 can pull around a 2-ton dump truck it should have no problem in my 1 ton although it will be far more gutless than it was with the 300 horsepower V10 but I don't care.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I figured if a 350 can pull around a 2-ton dump truck it should have no problem in my 1 ton although it will be far more gutless than it was with the 300 horsepower V10 but I don't care.

A Vortec 5700 makes like 250HP stock, the Ford v10 only makes like 275 stock. The torque will be the big difference, but I bet if you find a cheap-ish k2500 or k3500 and cam it, the difference would probably be pretty negligible. Decent gearing can kinda make up for the torque difference, and the Vortec should get way better MPG.

The v10 is a damn boat anchor, I'd almost take a stock tbi over it.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A Vortec 5700 makes like 250HP stock, the Ford v10 only makes like 275 stock. The torque will be the big difference, but I bet if you find a cheap-ish k2500 or k3500 and cam it, the difference would probably be pretty negligible. Decent gearing can kinda make up for the torque difference, and the Vortec should get way better MPG.

I don't know the V10 got a pretty solid 11 miles a gallon. [emoji1787]
(Solid as in a solid chunk of cash out of my wallet three times a week.)
I am going to do whatever I can to get that old AT&T truck posted above. It is a 350 I guess vortex since it's 1996 252,000 mi so if it has been maintained reasonably well it should be good to go for a lot more miles with a little bit of maintenance and a slipping transmission which unfortunately I'm gaining a lot of experience with transmissions lately so I should be able to handle that.
If any of y'all know of any 1996 compatible NV4500 transmission and pedal assemblies for cheap I may be looking for one.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

They claim mine had 310 horsepower.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was at the Sebring race track many years ago and there was a huge cluster around a 53 ford truck with the hood up. When I finally got a look I found a really unusual sight. It was a Jaguar DOHC six mounted in the pickup. The owner said he had the truck body and someone gave him the wrecked Jag. The setup fit like a glove and he said it was one surprising 53 ford truck. I love the idea of insulting ford by dropping in something reliable but I'm not sure that Jag engine fit the bill. He sure had lot of fun with it though.