Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dove into the engine today just to see what I could see. I figured with that crazy surging idle once it warmed up, I should check the TBI base gasket as I knew it looked old and crusty and not to be trusted. When I opened the throttle I could see the gasket appeared to be eroding at the rear of the bores. Out it comes..
You must be registered for see images attach

Popped right off the TBI and the manifold, thankfully. Fuzzy pic but a horrible gasket. Not convinced it's the issue, but it's AN issue. Was, anyway.

Did a quickie cleanup of the surfaces and stuck the new gasket on there. Then thought hey; I should pull the IAC and see if the pintle is crudded up, clean that too. Yep. Went for the top torx screw and the SOB snapped off. I don't think I'll be going for the second one just yet, and then be left with no IAC because both screws broke...

Got it fully warmed up and it's idling pretty normal, guess I'll have to move all the vehicles around and go take it for a test drive. Problem is it took 30 mins or so last time before it acted up. The injector spray looks pretty normal, although a little "spattery."

Replaced a broken section of hose between the crankcase vent tube and the air cleaner base. Can't hurt having the PCV system drawing filtered air instead of mouse butt air off the top of the manifold area. ;)

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is the amount of oil in the area normal? I assume that's from the pcv.

You know you could get rid of the mouse butt with a pressure washer:waytogo:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is the amount of oil in the area normal? I assume that's from the pcv.

You know you could get rid of the mouse butt with a pressure washer:waytogo:
Oil where? The wet spot in the lower right corner of the first pic? That's gas and throttle body cleaner that leaked out when I turned the TBI sideways. The intake is pretty dry all over. I'm pretty sure the mouse butt needs hardcore detergent AND pressure washer.

Took it on a little shakedown run to get a tire patched for my wife's truck. Had a tiny nail in it that was leaking slowly, and I'd rather trust a patch than a plug - the nail was so small I woulda had to hog the hole out for the plug tool. No good. Truck did OK but amazingly now smells like it's running rich. FML

The transmission shop dudes relieved me of a mudflap. I guess it got caught on the lift, or maybe they parked it backed against a curb and dragged it off; I dunno. They're claiming no knowledge. Regardless, they were trash, so I removed the other one. Looks OK, but I've already ordered some new ones.

Brake switch was hanging "on" every now and then and a jiggle of the pedal would turn them off. I went in to adjust the switch and all is well until you press the brakes a few times then they stick on again. So.... I ordered a GM brake switch, hopefully be here tomorrow.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
1) drill out broken IAC screw
2) replace with all thread
3) install battery clamp
4) enjoy!
You had me for a moment there, until I remembered the battery clamp. :)

Since nobody asked, here's a straight-on pic of the booty with no mudflaps. Enjoy the crusty goodness of that wrekt bumper..

The old flap that was still there measured about 19.5" across (bracket is 18"), and 22" long, and was dragging on the ground.

I found some flaps that I think will be freakin' sweet.. they neck down to 16" wide at the top (should be perfect on the brackets), 18" wide on the bottom half, and 17" long. My quick eyeball of the logo should put it just in the visible area with the flaps a reasonable distance off the ground. :Big Laugh:

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You had me for a moment there, until I remembered the battery clamp. :)

Since nobody asked, here's a straight-on pic of the booty with no mudflaps. Enjoy the crusty goodness of that wrekt bumper..

The old flap that was still there measured about 19.5" across (bracket is 18"), and 22" long, and was dragging on the ground.

I found some flaps that I think will be freakin' sweet.. they neck down to 16" wide at the top (should be perfect on the brackets), 18" wide on the bottom half, and 17" long. My quick eyeball of the logo should put it just in the visible area with the flaps a reasonable distance off the ground. :Big Laugh:

Richard

Mudflaps you say?