Talk some sense into me please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A Ford powered by a Chevy? Subscribed! Has it been done before? Probably! This is your work truck, right? So it doesn't have to be pretty and you guys (the State) don't even check for emissions, right?

Some custom engine to frame mounts, custom transmission crossmember mount, and custom driveshaft at the minimum. Are you planning on a Carb or TBI? Or a Vortec? The only issue I see is the gauges. Truck is going to be down for some time while you sort things out...

Is your tranny going out too? Why not a Triton 5.4 Swap? I think those should be pretty easy to source and they are pretty reliable. I forget the whole 2V vs 3V, and they still have the spark plug issue?

Otherwise probably better to sell the Ford and get a Chevy. Can the utility box be swapped? Or is it specific to the Ford? I used to see a lot of GMT400 C3500 and C3500HDs with those utility beds around here for around $2500-$4000, either from AT&T or the railroad companies. I seem to recall they had low miles for the year and engine and interior always looked better than any comparable "regular" 3/4 or 1 ton.
As a Ford parts guy I gotta vote against the Triton swap, might be the only thing worse than rebuilding the v10 LOL (imo). One of the reasons he wants out of Ford is parts cost, and let me tell you, the 5.4 isn't cheap parts-wise.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a Ford parts guy I gotta vote against the Triton swap, might be the only thing worse than rebuilding the v10 LOL (imo). One of the reasons he wants out of Ford is parts cost, and let me tell you, the 5.4 isn't cheap parts-wise.
Yeah Toyota cost and Dodge quality. [emoji1787]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That defeats the affordable objective pretty quickly.

You're already talking 8K...... buy a rusted out, beat up, Dodge and swap the engine/transmission into the Ford. It's a common enough swap that there are companies that specialize in the swap parts. You will have an engine more suitable to the truck, that will last a long time, and you won't be bogged down trying to figure out everything yourself.

The more sane answer is to look for a running truck better suited to your needs and sell the Ford.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The more sane answer is to look for a running truck better suited to your needs and sell the Ford.
Agree with this for the most part, but show me a Cummins truck with a functional powertrain that's less than 10k lol.
I've literally seen Cummins trucks with no bed no body, just engine trans on a frame go for $10k+.
Not to mention, how many parts on the Cummins can cost $1000+ to replace, vs how many parts on a SBC can cost you that much.
If he gets a Cummins that's perfect except the injection pump, he's out another 2k or better.

But your sentiment is absolutely correct, he could find a pretty nice k2500 or k3500 for $8k.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Agree with this for the most part, but show me a Cummins truck with a functional powertrain that's less than 10k lol.

I don't think they go for that much here, but I'd be looking at places like local auction houses. It could be they retain their value in non-rustbelt states. Here the trucks rot away from the engines.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step One: Jack up "9 foot utility bed".

Step Two: Drive a Chevy truck under it.

Step Three: Bolt the two together, drive away happy at not having to conduct major surgery on a terminal piece of ****.

Step Four: Sell the terminal piece of **** to recover some money. SOMEBODY will buy a V-10 Ford.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think they go for that much here, but I'd be looking at places like local auction houses. It could be they retain their value in non-rustbelt states. Here the trucks rot away from the engines.
Here in WA nothing really rusts, unless you live on one of the beaches (we don't use salt on the roads), all the old Cummins trucks just sit in peoples front yards, but they "know what they have" lmao.

I bet he could find one at a Copart auction, like a wrecked out one for reasonable price though, I didn't think of that.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're already talking 8K...... buy a rusted out, beat up, Dodge and swap the engine/transmission into the Ford. It's a common enough swap that there are companies that specialize in the swap parts. You will have an engine more suitable to the truck, that will last a long time, and you won't be bogged down trying to figure out everything yourself.

I am saying I think I could do it for under $8,000 and the oem remanufactured parts are $10,000

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Step One: Jack up "9 foot utility bed".

Step Two: Drive a Chevy truck under it.

Step Three: Bolt the two together, drive away happy at not having to conduct major surgery on a terminal piece of ****.

Step Four: Sell the terminal piece of **** to recover some money. SOMEBODY will buy a V-10 Ford.
B b but that would be sensible. [emoji1787]
That is my preferred fix.
I have said for years that the fix for a ford is a Chevy.
Hopefully I will find something soon. I am resigned to the fact that I am going to spend another summer working out of my tahoe.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I helped a friend put a new gas tank and fuel pump in a 1998 SVT mustang Cobra. It had been sitting for 8 years but it fired right up and after running for 15 or 20 minutes it smoothed out and idled down and we drove it around the block. Other than the thumping sound from the out of round tires it was really smooth and I could see actually enjoying that car even though I don't like fords. Of course I'll fall in love with almost any car that's got a stick shift in it.
I will say when he got on it it sure seemed easy to go sideways. Since it wasn't my car when I drove it I drove it like an old man in a Geo Metro but it was pretty nice even at that. I've never felt such a smooth shifting stick shift but then again I've not drove very many stick shifts in my life and it was the first muscle car I've ever drove. I've been in the passenger seat of a 60s or '70s Corvette once. Makes me wish I didn't need a work truck because I'd be out looking for a GTO or something for myself. [emoji16] I really want my next vehicle to be a stick shift I do love a good automatic but stick shifts are just something else.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I helped a friend put a new gas tank and fuel pump in a 1998 SVT mustang Cobra. It had been sitting for 8 years but it fired right up and after running for 15 or 20 minutes it smoothed out and idled down and we drove it around the block. Other than the thumping sound from the out of round tires it was really smooth and I could see actually enjoying that car even though I don't like fords. Of course I'll fall in love with almost any car that's got a stick shift in it.
I will say when he got on it it sure seemed easy to go sideways. Since it wasn't my car when I drove it I drove it like an old man in a Geo Metro but it was pretty nice even at that. I've never felt such a smooth shifting stick shift but then again I've not drove very many stick shifts in my life and it was the first muscle car I've ever drove. I've been in the passenger seat of a 60s or '70s Corvette once. Makes me wish I didn't need a work truck because I'd be out looking for a GTO or something for myself. [emoji16] I really want my next vehicle to be a stick shift I do love a good automatic but stick shifts are just something else.

Mustangs love going sideways, especially if there's a crowd nearby LOL

I had a newer model GTO ('04), even with the auto that thing was awesome, but the price you're gonna pay for one isn't so awesome, I bet for a decent stick GTO you're lookin at 15-20k right now. I paid $5k for my automatic in like 2018, the exact same car goes for $10-12 now.