IAC counts high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhworkin

Reaction score
I’m going to set fp at 15psi and 65.5lb/hr in bin and test.
After that load stock ve table and test.
Then load the stock timing table.
I get carried away and was told to make one change at a time.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9474.png
    IMG_9474.png
    177 KB · Views: 3

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks
Yeah,when things get too outa whack it's best to start over. Don't rely on someone else's data and tune for what your engine wants. Watch your duty cycle in the datalog. If DC is really high it's telling you that you need to turn the FP up. Like you said,one thing at a time.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cam and compression are you running? Even with a fairly stiff cam, I would think at 24 PSI, you'd be running pig rich unless you leaned out your VE tables too much.

As an example, you'd want your VE table looking something like this - smooth all the way through MAP/RPM ranges. Doesn't have to be perfect but, pretty close. FYI, this is with 61LB/HR injectors at 20PSI from EBL VE Learn (WBO2) and smoothing. Notice I'm going just above 90%. At WOT in PE I'm still getting ~12.5 AFR, YMMV

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Here's Low Speed

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What cam and compression are you running? Even with a fairly stiff cam, I would think at 24 PSI, you'd be running pig rich unless you leaned out your VE tables too much.

As an example, you'd want your VE table looking something like this - smooth all the way through MAP/RPM ranges. Doesn't have to be perfect but, pretty close. FYI, this is with 61LB/HR injectors at 20PSI from EBL VE Learn (WBO2) and smoothing. Notice I'm going just above 90%. At WOT in PE I'm still getting ~12.5 AFR, YMMV

Edit: Here's Low Speed

Is that in your 383? He's running a pretty mild cam and I'm guessing stock CR.

dhworkin

Reaction score
Yep, that's why I was agreeing with you, he shouldn't need anywhere close to 24 PSI. :waytogo:
Lowered FP to 15psi / 61lb/hr in bin and it’s working better than ever. Now it’s downshifting fast and positive when I give it throttle. I stop the test ride before I wanted to bc of rain and as soon as the streets dry I’m going out to make sure it’s really happening.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! Now just make small gradual adjustments if needed. Start with timing,then fuel then back to timing.

Y'all getting rain over there now? Hope it ain't heading this way,I've got to head out on a service call in a couple hours.

dhworkin

Reaction score
You guys figured it out! Thank you!
I bought my 95 GMC 1500 2x4 truck new from the dealer. Drove it 419k before it lost oil pressure in 2017. The original motor was a 305. Now it has 486k and I like it better now then when it was new. It still needs fine tuning and I will need more help. I’ve been tuning on it for 5 years and know the program and how to push the buttons but I have a lot more to learn.

Thanks again!

dhworkin

Reaction score
You guys figured it out! Thank you!
I bought my 95 GMC 1500 2x4 truck new from the dealer. Drove it 419k before it lost oil pressure in 2017. The original motor was a 305. Now it has 486k and I like it better now then when it was new. It still needs fine tuning and I will need more help. I’ve been tuning on it for 5 years and know the program and how to push the buttons but I have a lot more to learn.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_9477.jpeg
    IMG_9477.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 2

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! Now just make small gradual adjustments if needed. Start with timing,then fuel then back to timing.
Ditto with your success!

Here's a link that may help with your timing. @84Elky Includes a great explanation of how and why. You may want to start with something like this, then adjust based on Knock Counts. Post #3 starts with the "how and why", post #8, @Sharp38 modified the spreadsheet to eliminate a loop in the formula.

www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/761049-spark-advance-table-example.html#post6301288