5.7 Vortec high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright… I’ve been chasing this for months now. It is driving me crazy.

Symptoms:
intermittent high idle
intermittent surging at idle

Warmed up, slowing down for a stoplight or something, it does not want to idle down. I have to really hit the brakes to stop it. Once at a stop, it is around 1,000 RPM then eventually settles down.

It does not do this constantly, but I would say almost the majority of the time. Today cruising through the neighborhood, it wanted to speed up. I had to constantly hit the brakes to keep it slow. Without braking, it eventually hit third gear and 25 mph.

WHILE THIS IS HAPPENING, the IAC count is around 140-160 when I’m off the throttle. Once at a stop and the idle is still high, the count was 120 then suddenly dropped to 45 after sitting for 10-15 seconds. After it settles down, it idles pretty well for a continuous period. The surging happens when going into gear sometimes.

I have cleaned the throttle body, replaced both the IAC and TPS with DELCO parts. I have searched for vacuum leaks for HOURS using propane and carb cleaner.

When it is idling nice, it is around 650 RPM and the IAC count is around 0-35. With the AC off and in park, IAC count is 0. In gear, AC on, with a nice idle…it’s around 35 counts.

This high idle issues happens only after driving it, especially part throttle through the neighborhood. Like I said, it’s not every time, but it does happen daily.

I have also adjusted the throttle plate, several turns closing it. It seemed to help but the same issue came back.

At idle, around 650 rpm, the MAF is reading 7-8g/s, this seems too high, maybe it is telling the computer to idle higher idk? It is a new Delco maf sensor.

No check engine light or codes

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still say it's a vacuum leak. Also, what part number was the new MAF sensor? Delco as in ACDelco doesn't make new MAF sensors for the L31, unless I am mistaken.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re right, sorry! It is a Delphi AF10057
Okay, that part number matches your engine/vehicle, so you're good there. So, then, my bet is on an vacuum leak. What did you do to the engine/vehicle prior to this occurring?

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, that part number matches your engine/vehicle, so you're good there. So, then, my bet is on an vacuum leak. What did you do to the engine/vehicle prior to this occurring?

Replaced the fuel injector assembly, map sensor, crank sensor, distributor with Delco cap and rotor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, ignition coil, ignition module.

All parts are Delco except the distributor. It’s a recommended brand I saw here on the forum. I don’t remember the name…

Driving it today, the high idle issues seem to calm down when it became hot. It would still do it, but not as bad. However… it stalls when it gets hot. Sitting parked for 10 minutes or so, I go to put it in gear and it stalls. I restart and it dies, I restart it again and the check engine light came on.

The code is P1351 which I read could be a false code from extended starting. I’m not too sure anymore. The stalling when hot acts like the ignition module…….but that is the third one I’ve tried on it, a Delco part. And I used very nice thermal compound with high w/mk. I think it’s around 14 w/mk. Which I’m sure is a lot better than factory thermal compound.

I really think it’s a vacuum leak still but I cannot find it. I’ve spent the last hour still looking for it. I assume the intermittent high idle, and stalling is connected.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, there you go. You replaced the fuel injector assembly and then the problem started. My guess is that the O-ring/seal for the fuel injector or upper intake manifold is not sealing properly.

John Moore

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, there you go. You replaced the fuel injector assembly and then the problem started. My guess is that the O-ring/seal for the fuel injector or upper intake manifold is not sealing properly.

I’ve sprayed and used propane all around it with no change???? Is there another method to try? I would hate to remove that upper intake all over again.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll call around to see if I can find one. Would a vacuum leak cause hot stalling? What about the P1351 code?
You may have two different coincidental issues. You'll want to troubleshoot the P1351. Do you have the service manual? If not I can send you PDF for troubleshooting this DTC later this afternoon.