How to - Install -AN oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to find a "Sticky" Section"?
THIS web site. Go to the "Engine Performance + Maintenance section--the same section you posted this thread in.

There's 3 sub-sections at the top of the page: 96+ Vortec Performance, LSX + Carb Swaps, and Exhaust. Below that is...the sticky threads. Below that is this thread.

You're looking for
www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mentioned those AN to GM radiator fittings to ICT billet a few months ago to see if they had a solution, whoever responded practically said that anyone who would swap would use an aftermarket cooler. Jack wagons! To think I have spent hundreds of dollars with them to get an almost hostile reply.

GMTJunky

Reaction score
THIS web site. Go to the "Engine Performance + Maintenance section--the same section you posted this thread in.

There's 3 sub-sections at the top of the page: 96+ Vortec Performance, LSX + Carb Swaps, and Exhaust. Below that is...the sticky threads. Below that is this thread.

You're looking for
www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Got it. Thank you sir!

Jaydze_206

Reaction score
I installed -6 AN braided stainless oil cooler lines in my truck today, got sick of the factory oil leakers. I put new gaskets in the oil filter adapter while I was in there, it was leaking pretty bad too. Here's what you'll need to put AN lines in your truck, I got everything from ANPlumbing (no affiliation).

-6 male to 20mm x 1.5 adapters for the radiator fittings. These are pretty tough to find, ANPlumbing is the only place I saw them.
-6 45 degree male swivel.
-6 90 degree male swivel. These make it easy to route the hose.
-6 to 3/8 NPT adapters for the oil filter adapter.
-6 pre-made hose in 38" and 48" lengths.

That's it, about $120 of parts. I used teflon paste on the threads, gotta be careful to keep it away from the ends so it doesn't get in the oil.

Here's a shot of where the new lines go into the adapter (this is where you'll need the -6 to 3/8 NPT parts).

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is how the hoses are routed, just like factory. The little clamp that the factory lines use works great, doesn't pinch the AN hose at all.

The radiator end of things. This is where the -6 male to 20mm adapters and the swivels come in handy.

Hope this helps some of you out, it's handy to keep the factory cooler in cold climates like ND. Going just external would make the oil into jelly here. :D
You stated that it’s -6 an to 20 mm x1.5 at radiator size but I feel like from the pictures inline that’s small

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You stated that it’s -6 an to 20 mm x1.5 at radiator size but I feel like from the pictures inline that’s small

VCaddy hasn't been online in nearly 4 years, so I don't think he's going to be much help. If you mean that -6 is too small, go up to -8. The M20x1.5 is correct, though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM oil cooler tubes used 1/2" tubing sections along with the hose. 1/2" tubing is more-or-less equal to -8.

Yes, -6 is too damn small. Approx. 3/8".

See post #16.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
Hope this helps some of you out, it's handy to keep the factory cooler in cold climates like ND. Going just external would make the oil into jelly here. :D
@SAATR like you said he's been inactive for almost 4 years, but do you know why he'd recommend sticking with OEM lines in cold areas?

I'm in Southern Ontario so I can see temps as low as -4 most winters, and even -22 every few years. Those temps are in Fahrenheit

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@SAATR like you said he's been inactive for almost 4 years, but do you know why he'd recommend sticking with OEM lines in cold areas?

I'm in Southern Ontario so I can see temps as low as -4 most winters, and even -22 every few years. Those temps are in Fahrenheit

Likely what Schurkey said:

The OEM oil cooler tubes used 1/2" tubing sections along with the hose. 1/2" tubing is more-or-less equal to -8.

Yes, -6 is too damn small. Approx. 3/8".

See post #16.

Trying to flow very cold and consequently very thick engine oil through a smaller-than-OE line is a bad idea, and will make the oil cooler bypass valve open sooner and work harder. Use -8 instead.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I read that quote, he's not recommending factory hoses, he's recommending keeping the factory COOLER in the rad tank--which acts as a heater when the oil is already cooler than the water/antifreeze (which tends to warm up faster.)

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I read that quote, he's not recommending factory hoses, he's recommending keeping the factory COOLER in the rad tank--which acts as a heater when the oil is already cooler than the water/antifreeze (which tends to warm up faster.)

I did not reread the original post, but that does sound more likely.