1993 2WD Oil Cooler Lines - Hardware Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveinNC

Reaction score
All,
There is already several threads on this subject and I debated on updating those threads or making a new one. Because none of them had a complete parts list and overall summary to wrap up the project, I obviously decided to simply start this new thread.

My truck is a 1993 2WD Ext Cab, 5.7 TBI with the built in oil cooler lines that are aluminum lines crimped to rubber hoses with 392K on it. I've long since replaced the factory lines with the Dorman brand hoses assemblies (twice I believe) and they were leaking really bad again so I decided to make my own. Researched here and around the internet and everyone had a little info but not one place could give a good completed hardware specs with thread sizes from start to finish. There was considerable back and forth about the female thread in the radiator ports. Are they the 3/4x18 special thread that some reported leaked or M20x1.5 etc.

Here is what my truck OEM threads measured using calipers and thread pitch gauges.
- Radiator thread were M20x1.5 female with the protrusion in the middle to seat the aluminum tubing collar against.
- Oil filter adaptor had 3/8 MNPT

So the top oil line when I spec'd out my parts goes like this starting from the radiator and working back toward the oil filter adaptor
Vibrant Performance 16628 - Vibrant Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings -> Summit Racing SUM-220887B - Summit Racing™ Hose Ends 90 Degree -> Summit Racing SUM-240810BP - Summit Racing™ Premium Braided Nylon Hose -> Earl's Performance AT800108ERL - Earl's Performance Swivel-Seal Hose Ends -> Summit Racing SUM-220846B - Summit Racing™ AN to NPT Adapter Fittings.

Bottom Oil cooler line Specs starting from the radiator and working backward:
Vibrant Performance 16628 - Vibrant Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings -> Summit Racing SUM-220886B - Summit Racing™ Hose Ends 45 Degree -> Summit Racing SUM-240810BP - Summit Racing™ Premium Braided Nylon Hose -> Earl's Performance AT800108ERL - Earl's Performance Swivel-Seal Hose Ends -> Summit Racing SUM-220846B - Summit Racing™ AN to NPT Adapter Fittings.

Complete parts list with all relevant info below:
Vibrant Performance 16628 - Vibrant Performance AN to Metric Adapter Fittings
M20x1.5 x 8AN Male
Part Number: VPE-16628 $9.39 Qty. 2
(Had to modify this part. The factory bore was 3/8" dia. A local machinist reamed it to .505. The factory tubing from my oil cooler hose ends were .496/.497 dia. The machinist put a pretty good sized chamber on the M20x1.5 end from the new .505 reamed hole and this chamfer sealed right up against the seat in the radiator that normally would seal against the raised collar in the aluminum tubing. I used several layers of thread tape and didn't crank down hard on it. If this didn't seal up good I was going to simply cut off the ends of the previous old hoses and insert them into the M20x1.5 adaptors and let it seal against the raised aluminun coller like the OEM setup did. I've had this installed now for a month or more with 500 miles and severla heat cycles (including some 25-28F cold days here in NC) on it and no leaking at all on any joint or seam so far. I can't say the same for the rear main seal!!)

Summit Racing SUM-220846B - Summit Racing™ AN to NPT Adapter Fittings
3/8 NPT x 8AN Male
Part Number: SUM-220846B $4.99 Qty. 2

Summit Racing SUM-220887B - Summit Racing™ Hose Ends 90 Degree
8AN Female 90 degree elbow to 8AN Hose End
Part Number: SUM-220887B $16.69 Qty. 1

Summit Racing SUM-220886B - Summit Racing™ Hose Ends 45 Degree
8AN Female 45 degree elbow to 8AN Hose End
Part Number: SUM-220886B $16.69 Qty. 1

Summit Racing SUM-240810BP - Summit Racing™ Premium Braided Nylon Hose
10' hose
Part Number: SUM-240810BP $101.99 Qty. 1

Earl's Performance AT800108ERL - Earl's Performance Swivel-Seal Hose Ends
8AN Female x 8AN Hose End
Part Number: EAR-AT800108ERL $15.95 Qty. 2

This Koul tool is not absolutely needed but it really saved me time and ease of assembly.
Koul Tools 681 - Koul Tools AN Hose Assembly Tools
Part Number: KTS-681 $78.40 Qty. 1

Hope this helps someone else. Have a good day,
Steve
You must be registered for see images attach