How to - Install -AN oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I'm talking about... I always thought they were a GM thing, but it's another companies product. This is actually a picture of a Dorman, but I believe the original company actually makes them for Dorman.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://oetiker.com/Markets/Aftermarket?category=Powertrain

Jiffy-Tite was purchased by the Oetiker company. I've used hundreds of Oetiker clamps, and I've got a couple of Oetiker compressed-air-hose quick-couplers.

Jiffy-tite is now Oetiker
March 1, 2016, Jiffy-tite Group became part of the Oetiker Group. Jiffy-tite, now Oetiker New York, is a leading manufacturer of quick connectors for fluid transfer applications that include transmission oil cooling, engine oil cooling and turbocharger oil cooling and supply lines in the OEM, Aftermarket and Motorsports sectors.

Oetiker is novel, and goofy. Typical European: functional but weird.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
https://oetiker.com/Markets/Aftermarket?category=Powertrain

Jiffy-Tite was purchased by the Oetiker company. I've used hundreds of Oetiker clamps, and I've got a couple of Oetiker compressed-air-hose quick-couplers.

Oetiker is novel, and goofy. Typical European: functional but weird.

I thought they had been purchased or absorbed.

When I think of an Oetiker clamp, I think of what they call ab "ear clamp".... like what's used for PEX plumping. My original hydroboost hoses had a few of them.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
EVERY OEM connection was a quick disconnect on my 97. The radiator and engine side of the oil cooler lines. The transmission, radiator and auxiliary cooler lines for the trans were as well. It is all AN now.

To be clear, your 97 is a van right?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I think of an Oetiker clamp, I think of what they call ab "ear clamp".... like what's used for PEX plumping. My original hydroboost hoses had a few of them.
Yeah, Oetiker clamps are made in that variety. Sometimes see them on CV joint boots, too. You're thinking of these guys, right? Essentially a one-time clamp because you pinch/distort them to get them tightened, and they've about got to be cut-off to remove.

The ones I used so many of are more complex (more expensive) as they're a "constant-torque" coil-spring design that allows for temperature-related expansion and contraction. They're thinner than typical worm-gear "Breeze" clamps to concentrate the clamping force. They have the tongue-and-groove design so they clamp 360-degrees around the hose.

They work REALLY WELL but they're a complete pain in the ass to install. They have a very limited clamping range; the silicone hoses and elbows we used them on had enough variation in wall thickness that sometimes the "proper" clamp wasn't the right size to actually work. We had lots of leaks because careless workers slammed the clamp into place without following proper procedure.

You guys should see what Oetiker invented for air-tool quick-connects. They're unlike any other brand of air-hose couplers.
https://www.coastalhydraulics.net/technical-library/Oetiker Fittings/Oeitker Swing Coupling Training Binder.pdf

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, Oetiker clamps are made in that variety. Sometimes see them on CV joint boots, too. You're thinking of these guys, right? Essentially a one-time clamp because you pinch/distort them to get them tightened, and they've about got to be cut-off to remove.

Yes, I was actually using them on a very small CV boot, compared to what we have on our trucks. I've considered picking up some of these for usage on my truck for various hoses. They're one time use, but last as long as the hose.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be clear, your 97 is a van right?
Yes. 1500 Express 5.7/4L60E. What the radiator support looked like after 100K of leaking quick connects. Fairly certain they seep when new. The AC Delco replacements leaked from day 1! Only things leaking on the van were the quick connects and the hydrobooster. I guess the plus side was the front half of the frame has ZERO rust. No surface rust even as it was too soaked with oily fluids.

Last edited: