How to - Install -AN oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aluminum tube = aluminum fittings, commonally called AN fittings. Single 37° flare.
Steel tube = steel fittings, often referred to as MS fittings ( military specification ) Also 37°
Teflon steel braid line fittings are NOT the same as Buna/ Nitrile hose fittings. Aeroquip or Stratoflex for example. Use correct fittings for your choice of hose.
For what you use it for, whether oil, or power steering, having it fail will always be at the worst possible time. Good luck.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back to the subject-what do you suggest to seal the thread-fitting to oil filter adapter-teflon paste is what I've seen mentioned a number if times-if yes, what kind? Fast curing? Any brand suggestion? What worked for you?
On other forums I've seen folks using anaerobic( if I understand correctly, it's a permanent bond,like blue loctite-correct me if I'm wrong), something called Honda Bond and this guy used o rings in a vette(see picture).
And what is the substance on this dorman fitting-I think it's a teflon paste but maybe you guys know better?
Waiting for your 2 cents.

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-04-11-12-00-39.png
    Capture+_2022-04-11-12-00-39.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Capture+_2022-04-11-11-43-14.png
    Capture+_2022-04-11-11-43-14.png
    853.6 KB · Views: 12

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your first attachment uses fittings sealed with an O-ring. NO chemical sealer needed. Those fittings are known as "ORB", O-Ring Boss. (Looks like someone crammed an O-ring onto the blue fitting which may or may not be the correct thread, but the fitting itself isn't intended for an O-ring seal. It's intended to seal on the taper.)

Your second attachment appears to be pipe-thread, seals via thread distortion. Chemical sealers can be very helpful. The factory-applied sealer is perhaps a version of the Loctite/Permatex "PST" which used to stand for Pipe Sealer with Teflon, but since they aren't using DuPont Teflon any more, they use generic PTFE, so the trademark "Teflon" isn't on the packaging any more. At any rate, there's multiple formulations of "PST", the most common is 592. 592 is used and recommended by various OEMs including GM. My guess is that 592 is custom-packaged for GM and for ARP. Fabulous stuff. 565, and 567 are both in the same family of products, if that's what you can source, use it. And there's a "chapstick" version, semi-solid instead of liquid.

All of these Locktite/Permatex products have an anaerobic component; they "cure" rather than just evaporate solvent (dry).

www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTH2/?coliid=I2C34IAJPLZFEQ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your first attachment uses fittings sealed with an O-ring. NO chemical sealer needed. Those fittings are known as "ORB", O-Ring Boss. (Looks like someone crammed an O-ring onto the blue fitting which may or may not be the correct thread, but the fitting itself isn't intended for an O-ring seal. It's intended to seal on the taper.)

Your second attachment appears to be pipe-thread, seals via thread distortion. Chemical sealers can be very helpful. The factory-applied sealer is perhaps a version of the Loctite/Permatex "PST" which used to stand for Pipe Sealer with Teflon, but since they aren't using DuPont Teflon any more, they use generic PTFE, so the trademark "Teflon" isn't on the packaging any more. At any rate, there's multiple formulations of "PST", the most common is 592. 592 is used and recommended by various OEMs including GM. My guess is that 592 is custom-packaged for GM and for ARP. Fabulous stuff. 565, and 567 are both in the same family of products, if that's what you can source, use it. And there's a "chapstick" version, semi-solid instead of liquid.

All of these Locktite/Permatex products have an anaerobic component; they "cure" rather than just evaporate solvent (dry).

www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKTH2/?coliid=I2C34IAJPLZFEQ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah-I posted that photo as I found it online and I thought it was interesting. I bought Permatex High Temp after reading number of reviews. I realised, after studying the subject, that pretty much all of them require curing time(to some extent) so I just went with that-it should do the trick. Thanks Shurkey.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's 592 judging by the product number. Temp and vibration resistant.

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-04-11-15-26-15.png
    Capture+_2022-04-11-15-26-15.png
    839.1 KB · Views: 4

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. 592. Good stuff. You bought the little package, but that'll be enough for a small project or two. The 50ml tube lasts me a year or more.
Yeah-I was thinking about buying bigger one,but since it will be literally used on 2 x 3/8 fittings, it should be enough-I don't want to buy bigger now and watch it dry out.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you say it's anaerobic? Cause I tried to find this info in datasheets and it doesn't show it. Whereas on all Permatex products, that use that technology,it's stated in big,bold letters. Pretty confusing.
It doesn't "dry out", it cures in the presence of metal, and the lack of oxygen--just like threadlockers.