Flat towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats everyone’s thoughts on flat towing a k2500 crew... thinking about bolting a tow bar to the tow hook holes on the front, adding magnet mount trailer lights to the back, removing front and rear driveshafts... trucks needs a engine, so driving is not an option.. I own a 16’ trailer.. but don’t think it will fit.. need to move it 150 miles

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't.
I flat towed a 95 Dodge 2500 with my K1500 Suburban; and it was the sketchiest **** I've ever done; no functioning tail lights or power brakes on the Dodge; me and my friends made it home alright, but we all agreed it was a bad idea. And we only moved it 10 miles.

I would source a bigger trailer if possible; is it a Crew Cab short bed or long bed?

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sketchy! I flat towed a 2500 Suburban with a 1500 Suburban over 500 miles. Talk about a bad idea!!! There wasn't any foam left in my drivers seat by the time I made it home! Mountain passes are the worst in that situation! What are you towing it with? I also loaded a crew cab dually on my 16' trailer and towed it 35 miles with a 1500 Suburban. It wasn't nearly as bad as the flat tow. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton and a trailer with brakes that can handle the weight of the truck, you will be fine.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have towed a lot of cars and trucks a bunch of times. Yes it can be scatchy, if your not used to it. If you use a tow bar, it makes things a lot safer. Yes a trailer is the best route by far. A car dolly is the next best thing, but not on a big truck. I have towed with a chain, a strap, and a tow rope. Chain is the worst. Thing is with a chain, rope, or strap, you need 2 people who know what there are doing. I have towed 2 trucks like that 4 hours, because we had no other choice. The rear truck, or car, has to stop the front car or truck, and when taking off, the front truck need to take off very slowly until the slack comes out of the chain, strap, or rope. That kind of towing is never a good idea, but sometimes, you have no other choice.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be towing with a k1500, I’ve towed plenty.. I’d rather have the f250 I used to own and my uncles gooseneck.. but that’s not an option lol.. I’ve pulled a 5th wheel camper, tractor, other trucks and cars on my 16’ trailer, all with my 97 k1500 ext cab.. it has 5.7 4l60 14sf on 35s... not ideal for towing but all trailers I own have brakes on both axles.. obviously by flat towing I will not have brakes on the truck being towed..

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, no brakes, but using a tow bar, that should not be an issue.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll be moving the truck 150 miles on mostly flat ground, 2 lane back roads, 45-50mph max.. if anyone has pics of a crew cab short bed on a trailer post them up... I don’t think it will fit on a 16’ trailer.. may be wrong tho..

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
May fit on a flat bed car hauler, if you take off the outer rear tire.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will definitely fit on the 16' trailer. You will have overhang off the back, just put your magnetic lights on the bumper of the truck and you'll be fine. My '78 CCLB dually fit on my 16' trailer. The dual did have to come off. Just watch your tongue weight. I did have to load it backwards to balance it well enough to make the trip.