Flat towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It still has more to do with what you are towing with than what is connecting the two vehicles. I tried to tow a loaded SCLB F150 with a ECLB F250 with a 7.5L. The tow bar angled up from the 250 to the 150. Scared the daylights out of me! I only made it about 25 miles and gave up. Came back the next day using my extended E350 with the 5.8. Tow bar angled down to the F150. I pulled that thing 250 miles at 70-75 barely realizing it was there. Physics plays into towing quite a bit.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooo... after all this I rented a 2018 Cummins 2500 4x4 from enterprise truck rental.. hooked up my trailer and hauled it home.. $85 a day unlimited miles.. cost less than $200 total to get it 185 miles home.. trailer needs a new set of tires thanks to a blowout, and drive over fenders built.. current fenders are ruined lol

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last time I had to load my Suburban I killed the drive over fenders too. One got pushed into the inside of the tires and we spent over an hour trying to get it pulled out enough to drive home. My new fenders will mounted on a hinge front and back so the fenders will swing out for loading, like the Uhaul trailers, only both sides. Driving over trailer tires for loading will be way easier anyway. I had the old fenders off a few years ago, the last time I crushed them loading something too heavy, and rolling over the trailer tires was way easier.