beefing up trailer for higher payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't read thru all the pages, but I would make double sure of your tie-down design. Small, heavy items like that can punch thru those walls/doors in a load shift, or accident
yea there is tie downs on the walls i wouldn't trust. the ones on the floors are through bolted with a doubler plate but only through plywood. would be nice if they were tied into the steel cross braces.

IDK about Canada but here in AZ, probably the whole USofA, a single axle without brakes has a limit of 3,000# GVW. Recently, I got a "Home Made" trailer registered and licensed. They asked me what its GVW was, I said 3,000#. They walked around it, stuck a vin label on the tongue and gave me a permanent plate :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

My C1500 doesn't have a problem pulling or braking with it but, I wouldn't go any heavier for sure.

Some day I may even paint it :biggrin:
yes same as my province, 1400kg or if the trailer weighs more than 40% of the tow vehicle.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IDK about Canada but here in AZ, probably the whole USofA, a single axle without brakes has a limit of 3,000# GVW. Recently, I got a "Home Made" trailer registered and licensed. They asked me what its GVW was, I said 3,000#. They walked around it, stuck a vin label on the tongue and gave me a permanent plate :waytogo:

My C1500 doesn't have a problem pulling or braking with it but, I wouldn't go any heavier for sure.

Some day I may even paint it :biggrin:
is it using an axle from a gmt 400?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I assumed your tiedown points would be attached mechanically to the structure.
Tiedown points in plywood? Great for bicycle. Bad for for real world items.
You can't have too many tiedown spots. I was a Flight Engineer for eleven years, heavy cargo. You name it I probably hauled it somewhere.
Your in the great white north, I must missed that. I'm sure there are different rules regulations with whoever has authority in Canada. In California the DMV has a free hand book on trailers and trailering. And a Separate handbook for CDL trucks , trailers.
Good luck , hope it works out for you!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the difference in people that modify their braking systems, suspension, frames, etc on their vehicle vs modifying a trailer. LOTS of that goes on here and elsewhere. I don't think anyone gets an inspection done afterward unless you're in Europe.
You could put a 100 crossmembers in and triple the floor and it still does nothing to increase the strength on the longitudinal weight bearing frame rails, now I'm not an engineer or certified structural welder,, but I do know enough about welding that you do not weld perpendicular(verticle) onto the longitudinal(horizontal)weight bearing member. The frame might actually have less weight bearing capacity when you're done "modding"

You've come up with several reasons/excuses you can't or won't do the most important part that even the trailer guy that had eyes on it suggested. bro, we've talked in the past , you got more sense than this. It's hard to build a house on an effed up foundation. This trailer needs a better foundation.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the difference in people that modify their braking systems, suspension, frames, etc on their vehicle vs modifying a trailer. LOTS of that goes on here and elsewhere. I don't think anyone gets an inspection done afterward unless you're in Europe.
A lot of them have issues as well with less braking performance, suspension parts breakage, alignment issues etc, and end here asking why their ill-conceived mess of mods didn't work out as intended. Again it's not just your safety, others are out there too. Your employer should be looking for a proper trailer for you to use for them, any payments could be wrote off or equipment depreciations taken by them depending on loan/lease structure . There are easier way to to make a few extra bucks a few times a year to get involved in renting them a trailer. In the grand scheme they should not be pushing you to do this, you as an employee driving around on company time representing them puts them on the liability hook with you. As business owners it's a legitimately asinine plan on their end and you want to rent them substandard/insufficient equipment. Bad idea in alot more ways than one

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of them have issues as well with less braking performance, suspension parts breakage, alignment issues etc, and end here asking why their ill-conceived mess of mods didn't work out as intended. Again it's not just your safety, others are out there too. Your employer should be looking for a proper trailer for you to use for them, any payments could be wrote off or equipment depreciations taken by them depending on loan/lease structure . There are easier way to to make a few extra bucks a few times a year to get involved in renting them a trailer. In the grand scheme they should not be pushing you to do this, you as an employee driving around on company time representing them puts them on the liability hook with you. As business owners it's a legitimately asinine plan on their end and you want to rent them substandard/insufficient equipment. Bad idea in alot more ways than one
ya it's all good, I talked with my supervisor today. they are going to have to either find a company to ship them or spend the money to get a proper trailer. I am not going to get into my financials but i live in one of the most expensive places in Canada. my mortgage is $5000 a month. we are not struggling, but even an extra few hundred dollars a month makes a difference especially with a kid on the way. like i said earlier, glad i posted and got a reality check there were things l hadn't thought about/got bad info.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya it's all good, I talked with my supervisor today. they are going to have to either find a company to ship them or spend the money to get a proper trailer. I am not going to get into my financials but i live in one of the most expensive places in Canada. my mortgage is $5000 a month. we are not struggling, but even an extra few hundred dollars a month makes a difference especially with a kid on the way. like i said earlier, glad i posted and got a reality check there were things l hadn't thought about/got bad info.
You must live in Vancouver?? $1400 a month mortgage gets me this in Edmonton

Attachments

• IMG_7834.jpeg
    IMG_7834.jpeg
    400.7 KB · Views: 6

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must live in Vancouver?? $1400 a month mortgage gets me this in Edmonton
very close, vancouver island. we moved from the lower mainland and bought a place this summer. spent my life savings but got a relatively new house on 2.5 achers. if we would have stayed in vancouver we would have been lucky to get a 1950s bungalow for the same price. I lived in E-town back in 08-09 but when the aviation industry tanked i got layed off and moved out west as I had family here. got into a new career shortly after moving out here and haven't looked back.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya, and sounds like you have much to lose. That was a better choice. Sometimes it's hard to not be the good employee and try to find solutions if you like it there.