Travel Trailer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They were all over the place the way they made their tow ratings. In my 98 manual it doesn't delineate tow ratings between heavy half and regular half. The only things that change tow ratings within the 1500 category are the engine, trans, and gearing. And really with the trans it's just manual vs auto. Step up to the K2500 and again it doesn't delineate between 6 or 8 lug, hydroboost or no, semi float/full float axles, with tow ratings. It's super dumb. But each gear change as I recall is worth 500# according to the general. Don't expect a concrete answer here, just know that you won't be very happy pulling a 7000# box down the road with a bone stock 1500 with 3.42 gears and 3+1 leaf pack with 8.5" rear end.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Towed a bunch of stuff with my 1500, Not across country, not through mountain passes, in 3rd putting along at 60-65 mp, just under 3k rpm/3.73/285's. Makes for long slow going trips, and almost any grade puts it in second gear screaming. frequent stops checking stuff etc. They don't last long living at their limit . Sometimes the right answer is to start in a better place with something that has the equipment you need.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw this rig in the parking lot just now. This looks like too little truck/too much trailer…

That’s a Toyota Tacoma.

You must be registered for see images attach
Well they advertise many of these as half ton towable, but this ones's looking like it's got that much in the bed and lots pack half the house into the camper. Some areas Dot will pull and scale private rigs. Visually unsafe load.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 200hp Tbi will tow 6.5k but not comfortably in all situations. My 19 with the 4.3 and 8 speed did better, forget the hp/tq ratings 260?ish hp. More than suspension needs to be on the list depending on what it's going to be used for. Even if you bolt on 2500 suspension it's still reg'ed as a half ton.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have that sticker in the door as well. I even have the owners manual, but that's useless. Doesn't specify anything.

The GM Heritage Vehicle information kit shows payload (E63) as:

GVWR is of course 6200 per the sticker. Max trailer weight shows 7000/850 bumper pull (properly equipped):

The question to get the right number is... what does (properly equipped) mean?

Looking at the GVWR selector:

Looks like I would need technically the GT4 axle, which of course is the 3.73 ratio. F44 is the HD package (GT5) 4.10 gears and heavier springs, 4l80e etc. Short of getting the build invoice (GM Heritage wants $50 for it), I think I'm left wondering what the actual trailer capacity is, since they only show the minimum/maximum possible (v6 vs v8 properly equipped) on the Info package (which looks to be max the 3.73 GT4 for the 350).

You would think they would list ALL of the capacities, not just the max.

Striker1423

Reaction score
They were all over the place the way they made their tow ratings. In my 98 manual it doesn't delineate tow ratings between heavy half and regular half. The only things that change tow ratings within the 1500 category are the engine, trans, and gearing. And really with the trans it's just manual vs auto. Step up to the K2500 and again it doesn't delineate between 6 or 8 lug, hydroboost or no, semi float/full float axles, with tow ratings. It's super dumb. But each gear change as I recall is worth 500# according to the general. Don't expect a concrete answer here, just know that you won't be very happy pulling a 7000# box down the road with a bone stock 1500 with 3.42 gears and 3+1 leaf pack with 8.5" rear end.
I agree with you. I have no intention of pulling a 7,000-pound trailer around. I was just trying to find something semi-close to what we want, preferably around the 4-5k mark. Hence why I was also looking for the actual numbers for the way my truck is outfitted. But, as you have mentioned already it's clear as mud.

I think my best bet will be something smaller within the 3-4k range... if anything at all with this truck, or a bigger newer *shudders* truck (not a huge fan of the high-mileage GMT900's and up, been there and done that). Maybe I can just pack my old tent in the bed... lol.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought the K1500 about 6 years ago to tow travel trailers. 3.73, 350, 4L60e. Had 120,000 on it, one owner, always garaged, constant oil changes, motor had original plugs and wires. Tuned it up, new plugs etc. Bought a 28 ft Trail Cruiser a light weight trailer, 5,000 lbs dry. Probably 5500 to 6000 loaded. Towed it but slow. Burb weighs 6,000 lbs according to scales at recycling yard. Not much power up mountain passes. In Nevada slight uphill against headwind had to drive in 2nd all day. So, installed a 383, problem solved. So, stock, it'll tow 5000 lbs or so, but you won't be happy. Stay below 4,000 lbs., or upgrade to a 383, no comparison.