beefing up trailer for higher payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
very close, vancouver island. we moved from the lower mainland and bought a place this summer. spent my life savings but got a relatively new house on 2.5 achers. if we would have stayed in vancouver we would have been lucky to get a 1950s bungalow for the same price. I lived in E-town back in 08-09 but when the aviation industry tanked i got layed off and moved out west as I had family here. got into a new career shortly after moving out here and haven't looked back.
I’m from Nanaimo yes the prices are crazy out that way! We sold 4 acres with 2 houses for 2.6 mil

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m from Nanaimo yes the prices are crazy out that way! We sold 4 acres with 2 houses for 2.6 mil
we are in mill bay area. i told my old lady that the next move will either be AB or back to SK where I grew up. we will slug it out here for another 4 years and hopefully interest rates will come down some. we both have had enough of vancouver and it is only getting worse. i think it wont be long until the same happens to the southern island.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
we are in mill bay area. i told my old lady that the next move will either be AB or back to SK where I grew up. we will slug it out here for another 4 years and hopefully interest rates will come down some. we both have had enough of vancouver and it is only getting worse. i think it wont be long until the same happens to the southern island.

Yeah it’s tough. The island is beautiful but it’s getting crazy… The people are getting crazy too, I can’t even visit anymore lol! It’s night and day in Alberta. We have a bit of freedom, and land is still low cost. My wife can stay home with the kids and I got 4 acres 40 min away from the house for fun stuff for $50,000 with natural gas and power 1km off the highway.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it’s tough. The island is beautiful but it’s getting crazy… The people are getting crazy too, I can’t even visit anymore lol! It’s night and day in Alberta. We have a bit of freedom, and land is still low cost. My wife can stay home with the kids and I got 4 acres 40 min away from the house for fun stuff for $50,000 with natural gas and power 1km off the highway.
ya i primarily work in victoria and the drive in the morning is pretty crazy. we definitely have lots of ideas for the property but no cash to do them at the moment.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya i primarily work in victoria and the drive in the morning is pretty crazy. we definitely have lots of ideas for the property but no cash to do them at the moment.
Don’t worry. It’s like that in the US too. At times even the fixer-uppers are out of reach.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like that area it sure is beautiful! I’ve spent some time around there it’s a nice experience to live there. I wouldn’t change my time on the island, it was amazing years ago. I was a pro mountain biker back then, lots of fun!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IS YOUR AXLE A GMT 400 AXLE?
Your question was ambiguous, I thought you were talking about the weight limit, not my trailer exclusively, sorry. No, it's not a GMT 400 AXLE it is a drop axle with 5 on 5 bolt pattern. The trailer and rims came with the house - just a big coincidence. :biggrin: I added the truck rack (I got for free when I worked at Werner Ladder) to handle longer mill lengths. The square tubing was laying around too. The box is too narrow for a sheet of plywood (48X96) let alone melamine (49X97") so, rather than tearing it all down, I built it up. I did have to buy the lights and wire it to be legal.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not going to get into my profession here, but I need to move 3000-5000 pounds of test weights.
Now that you decided what route to go, I gotta ask, are the weights for calibrating/servicing big scales? Like grain or truck scales? I was involved in that years ago when I was a USDA licensed inspector (small grains) where part of my responsibilities was check weighing and calibrating scales. We had a big basket with the 50LB suitcase weights hauled around in an open air equipment carrier, kinda like one used for farm equipment but with a trolley.

Jskingry

Reaction score
Then rent a trailer when you need to move a load like you are suggesting. I’m not usually so blunt but this is a terrible idea!
I like this idea, except maybe rent a uhaul truck for the day. A 20' box truck is on a heavy duty chassis and will do everything they need to be done assuming the ramp is wide enough.