High idle, goes higher when brake is pushed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Warrum

Reaction score
Found that with the water trick or just by checking with eyes? Is that a feed for the brake booster or what?
Took off air cleaner and looked. Same thing happened in my 94 c1500 I haven’t touched the booster yet. Gna swap this first
A booster check. Before starting step on brake pedal and hold while cranking and start. What does brake pedal do?
1. Nothing. 2. Pulls lower to floor.
pulls to the floor.

Jason Warrum

Reaction score
A booster check. Before starting step on brake pedal and hold while cranking and start. What does brake pedal do?
1. Nothing. 2. Pulls lower to floor.
Pulls to the floor. But it doesn’t seem to idle as high for and not as long when I do that and start it. But I did pull the vacuum line off the booster and try to plug it with my thumb and that didn’t seem to change much.

Jason Warrum

Reaction score
Scanner may be useful. Have you tried seeing if there are any codes?
TPS reading right?

No I haven’t. But no fault lights are on the dash so never even thought about that. I also thought about changing tps, but would the brake being pushed have any type of affect on the tps? Again I’m a tinkerer not a mechanic

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If nothing happened it meant there is a vacuum problem or booster failure. The fact that it had vacuum and pedal reacted. Have you checked all the vacuum lines, just to be sure. They look fine but get loose on the ends from age and heat. I second it being a good idea to hook up a scanner and check for normal sensor operation.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was just a quick brake booster check, not throttle or TPS function , cause you mentioned brakes and booster .