Seemingly random, intermittent high idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinJ94FSB

Reaction score
Several existing threads detailing scan tool recommendations.
have briefly looked at some of these threads, have not landed on which route i want to go, i will be getting something going after christmas on this, its something ive wanted for a long time and this is the first place i actually found good info on them.
Inspected plug wires?
not thoroughly but i believe they are fairly new. It is something i am going to check out. I did an apparently typical noob thing and put dielectric grease on end of the plugs where the wires attach SMH, so ill be removing them and cleaning them, and probably getting some new wires anyways.

Initial timing? Timing advance?
I set the timing to 0 degrees with timing advance disconnected and engine fully warmed, its dead on.
Checked EGR system for operation?

Is the IAC being properly commanded by the computer?
Truck ran like crap and stunk like rotten eggs and wanted to stall out once warmed. Replacing EGR immediately resolved this issue so im currently considering this specific part resolved, however once i get a method set up for reading live data i will get confirmation one way or another on these 2 things.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
"not thoroughly but i believe they are fairly new. It is something i am going to check out. I did an apparently typical noob thing and put dielectric grease on end of the plugs where the wires attach SMH, so ill be removing them and cleaning them, and probably getting some new wires anyways."

Why would you be worried about the dielectric grease? You can reuse the wires or install new. When I put on new wires or reuse the old wires, I always use dielectric grease at the plug wire opening, I usually use a Q-tip, and I slide it on. If you put the dielectric grease on the end of the plug on the porcelain is all good. If you just did it at the tip, no big deal.

JustinJ94FSB

Reaction score
thats good news. Maybe i will put them on the back burner for now. Ive used the grease on every wire/plug ive ever changed also. im probably just experiencing a case of "WebMD effect" thinking everything is gonna go horribly wrong and kill me or something. Today if everything goes well im going to try and remove my TBI again and check out my IAC passage for carbon buildup. Hopefully there is buildup and i can remove it, and it will be all fixed. not counting on it with my luck but im not giving up yet! will report back

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
thats good news. Maybe i will put them on the back burner for now. Ive used the grease on every wire/plug ive ever changed also. im probably just experiencing a case of "WebMD effect" thinking everything is gonna go horribly wrong and kill me or something. Today if everything goes well im going to try and remove my TBI again and check out my IAC passage for carbon buildup. Hopefully there is buildup and i can remove it, and it will be all fixed. not counting on it with my luck but im not giving up yet! will report back
If you have a round wire brush, you can chip away at the carbon and turn that brush in there to clean it out. Round wire brush about the size of a top post battery cleaning brush and is tapered. Use some carb clean to break it down as you clean it, too.

JustinJ94FSB

Reaction score
well this issue seems to have sorted itself out. When i was looking down in the iac passage it seemed fine visually. I sprayed some cleaner on the tip of the pintle and then tapped the throttle on and off so the iac pintle would extend and retract. i figured if there was some residue sitting where the pintle goes, it might help dissolve it. No idea if this had any effect or not because the issue was not present when i was doing this, and it has not done it again since. I will consider this high idle issue solved, i wish i knew what the exact problem/fix was but i dont lol. Till next time, thanks everyone!