Trailer Hitch Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cleaned up my stock trailer hitch that was on my truck ( sanded down and repainted ), about to remount it to my truck, but when I took it off I noticed the bolt threads had locktite on them, should I apply some when reinstalling? Don't have it right now and was wondering if it would be okay if I could install it without it?
The glow sticks were from Homecoming lol
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That turned out nice!
It would “probably” be ok, but I recommend using some thread locker. That’s an awful lot of liability if it comes loose, towing something or not.
Yeah at the very least I would want to use lock nuts if possible. But thread locking compound of some sort would be a great idea.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah at the very least I would want to use lock nuts if possible. But thread locking compound of some sort would be a great idea.
Even better! I prefer the “stover”? Nuts over nylocs. I think they’re called stover, the ones that are pinched on one side.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought three receivers from Pull-A-Part and only one of them still had all the bolts in place. That was only because the bolts had nature's loctite (rust) on the threads. Stover nuts are probably the best option, but it they rust you might have to use the hot wrench to get them off.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have factory fasteners (all of them) on my 1500's hitch (don't recall any loctite on those) and standard fasteners with locknuts on my dually's superhitch. I'm not a fan of slapping loctite on everything "just to be safe". I seem to have good luck simply tightening fasteners where they ought to be. Come time to take it all back apart it sucks way more with the loctite.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One way to overcome the rust in between the threads is use a little silver anti seize, it will help prevent rust creep, yet still be able to removed if needed versus chemically welding the hardware with red death, ( locktite).