Decent affordable recommendations on brake control? For Towing anything from a few snowmobiles / quads to a Small car trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t know a lot about break controllers what’s over kill what’s the most reliable are the older ones ironically built to last longer and what brand to avoid etc …

I don’t need anything that has all the bells and whistles but I would like a controller that works properly 99% of the time .
Just need the basics from an electric brake controller don’t know if I’ll ever use a dual axle trailer but I do have an Electric brake tow Dolly also plan to pickup a small truck/car trailer with electric brakes.

I plan to tow with my 99 suburban 2wd. It already has 3/4 ton leaf spring swap also just done a 6” lift recently and the 4l80 swap will be done shortly as a plan that was already in place before I considered towing at all.

It won’t be often but I have some 2024” plans I plan to go pickup a truck “cab” and possibly another s10 pickup , I picked up two used tekonsha units from a 98 suburban and 95 c1500 pickup for next to nothing from the bone yard !
I’m sure they work haven’t wired in either yet but don’t know if they are older or relevant . One is a Tekonsha Sentenial other is a Voyager XP.

The voyager from what I read seems to be legit and maybe even still relevant. Handles 1-4 axles and has proportionate braking and manual braking if need be . But I can’t find a release date for that one or any info if it’s a older voyager or recent model
Would one be better then the other or should I just buy a specific 2023 unit

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpeg
    IMG_0176.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Affordable' really shouldn't be a metric when talking about brakes.

I've been towing, building trailers and installing brake controllers for 40 years. Now I won't bother with anything but this RedArc-

It handles lightweight single axles, or 3 axle equipment trailers, all with nothing more than a dial.

You can make do with nearly any old controller, but they don't respond proportionally; they're never quite optimized for your next stop, the adjustment wheels wear out, they're in your way or hard to access when you need it quickly. With the RedArc you can tie the unit anywhere under the dash, and install the knob where it's convenient and accessible.

Attachments

• 0626231037_HDR.jpg
    0626231037_HDR.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 44

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I've been towing, building trailers and installing brake controllers for 40 years. Now I won't bother with anything but this RedArc-

It handles lightweight single axles, or 3 axle equipment trailers, all with nothing more than a dial.

You can make do with nearly any old controller, but they don't respond proportionally; they're never quite optimized for your next stop, the adjustment wheels wear out, they're in your way or hard to access when you need it quickly. With the RedArc you can tie the unit anywhere under the dash, and install the knob where it's convenient and accessible.
I’ll take that from the expert .
I think a dial within reach makes Sense . I’ll look into that

ADW400

Reaction score

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally have the sentinel that you pictured. It works. A little grabby on the braking, but loaded it isn't an issue.
I've been eyeing that redarc unit, for the price it seems great.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike these other bougie folks, I'm cheap. I don't tow with my GMT400s, since I have a diesel Excursion, but I just put a new Reese Brakeman IV in the Ex a few months back. Has gain and sync adjustments and works just fine, if you want something much cheaper than the other options that still works great. They're even 40% off on Amazon right now.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the website but pretty sure the voyager is at least proportional, Im afraid the sentinel is timer based.

Me personally I tow pretty heavy and really like the Tekonsha prodigy P3. i have about 5 of the units scattered across the fleet. it has a removable plug on the back so you can share it amongst tow rigs.

That said for your usage I bet the voyager will be fine if it works.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the website but pretty sure the voyager is at least proportional, Im afraid the sentinel is timer based.

Me personally I tow pretty heavy and really like the Tekonsha prodigy P3. i have about 5 of the units scattered across the fleet. it has a removable plug on the back so you can share it amongst tow rigs.

That said for your usage I bet the voyager will be fine if it works.
Thanks as I have long ago has all the hard wiring done and both these 2nd hand controllers in hand . I wasn’t worrying about going all out with a bells and whistles brake controller just yet … I don’t and won’t tow often I just want something there to control electric brakes “ if I hook up at the spur of the moment tow . And if so it would likely be a small car tow Dolly equipped with electric brakes or a mid size utility trailer

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

How does it act compared to a P3?

Thanks as I have long ago has all the hard wiring done and both these 2nd hand controllers in hand . I wasn’t worrying about going all out with a bells and whistles brake controller just yet … I don’t and won’t tow often I just want something there to control electric brakes “ if I hook up at the spur of the moment tow . And if so it would likely be a small car tow Dolly equipped with electric brakes or a mid size utility trailer

Any single axle deal I believe won't have electric brakes. And I surely don't believe a dolly would have brakes. But I had a Voyager and it worked fine. The one I had was proportional. Yours looks older.