Stock low-profile mirrors to tow mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tksoldierx

Reaction score
Howdy all. Not sure where the best place for this thread is, but it can be moved if it’s in the wrong spot.

I’ve been playing the mental game of trying to find a mirror that’s got the same relatively low drag as the stock low-profile mirror, but can also show the wide and more vertical angles needed for safely towing. So far I haven’t seen any winners. But I came up with a few alternative options:

1. Those covers that strap on to the existing mirror and add a wide angle mirror in addition to the stock. Then I could have the low drag mirror when not towing, and throw it on when towing for the extra wide view. But, ugly IMO, no extra vertical viewing (for seeing further back), makes for less width clearance, and clutters up the cab or a container in the box when not in use.

2. Adding some of those stick-on wide view mirrors to the mirror, and rigging the whole mirror up to rotate for that extra vertical view so ya can see further back. Like some of those D*dge mirrors do. Then I’d always have the wide views (which is handy - I physically cannot see anything the same size or shorter than a camaro if it were to pull up next to me without me noticing…big ol blind spots) and I’d have the aero benefits of the stock mirrors, whether they’re horizontal or in the vertical towing mode. And no extra width added. I made up a rough render below of what I mean
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

That second one is the option I’m leaning toward, but I haven’t dug into the mirrors yet…I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on the best way to introduce a pivot on the y axis. I don’t want to just dive in and end up rednecking a zip tie duct tape wobbly jerry rigged Rube Goldberg contraption that sags like a basset hound’s ears

tksoldierx

Reaction score
Why not just buy Dodge tow mirrors?
The dodge mirrors are probably the right answer for some folks, just not for me

Don’t like the look of em, costs a lot more than my mind says some hardware would, a shipping price is almost guaranteed to get them, and they’re shaped more like a brick, which be more of a hard stop for airflow. Plus the stockers already connect seamlessly with the wiring, body work, and bolting on. I’d have to buy an adapter kit or rig something up to get the dodge’s to fit, so if I’d have to rig it anyway, why not rig something up for an end result that’s a lot cheaper and cooler?

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
You'll destroy the factory mirrors trying to make them pivot vertically, you'd be trying to re-engineer something that already serves a specific purpose. Mirrors do very little in adding or subtracting to the aero drag of our GMT400s.

You'll waste more money and time trying to cobble these together than is worth it in my opinion. Just buy some aftermarket tow mirrors and save yourself the headache(and time)!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dodge mirrors are probably the right answer for some folks, just not for me

Don’t like the look of em, costs a lot more than my mind says some hardware would, a shipping price is almost guaranteed to get them, and they’re shaped more like a brick, which be more of a hard stop for airflow. Plus the stockers already connect seamlessly with the wiring, body work, and bolting on. I’d have to buy an adapter kit or rig something up to get the dodge’s to fit, so if I’d have to rig it anyway, why not rig something up for an end result that’s a lot cheaper and cooler?
They make Dodge style tow mirrors that bolt right up to our trucks.

I don’t think you’re going to find something that works how you want. The aerodynamic impact is going to be minor.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a big fan of wide angle rear view mirrors. I CAN see out of both wing windows in my extended cab. I’ll be installing a wink mirror when I redo my sunvisors and headliner.

Currently have one like this, purchased at the local auto parts store

SkycropHD Anti Glare Car Interior Rear View Mirror Clip-on Wide Angle Panoramic Rearview Mirror to Eliminate Blind Spots – Convex, Blue,11.8in (300mm) https://a.co/d/i8HNAUb

Speedway Motors Racing 5-Panel Wide-Angle Rear View Wink Mirror, 35 Inches https://a.co/d/4tZ8qeK

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The slide on/strap on mirros vibrate so badly they are practically useless.

A fisheye on the passenger side factory mirror helps but is only slightly more adequate than stock.

I've had everything from the West Coast style tow mirros to my 96 which came with the SS camper mirrors.

The "modern" mirrors that consist of two peices of glass--one a rectangular magnified/fisheye and a conventional rectangular mirror, that also slide out further when needed to see around a TT or wide body horse trailer are the best.

The Chineseum mirrors on ebay ain't bad. Guys complain about them vibrating, but they are plenty stable enough to see what needs to be seen and a whole lot better than the mirrors I learned to tow with 40-50 years ago.....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why I keep the stock mirrors on my 92, you can actually see shyt out of them.

Mirrors ain't gonna make you cool, you're either already a cool dude or you're not.lol

get what works for you, form usually follows function but I wouldn't waste time trying to cobble something together off another truck. When towing it's nice to see what's going on behind you instead of looking when the trailer wheel rolls past you at a stop light.

Last edited: