Quick-swap mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tksoldierx

Reaction score
Howdy all, I had posted earlier about modifying the stock mirrors to rotate up, becoming tall mirrors for towing. That was pretty much universally shot down, but I came up with an alternative to maintain all the benefits of the stock mirror but also get the benefits of a towing mirror when necessary

Quick swap mirrors - I’m thinking drilling a hole in the mirror and mount, sticking a big ol bolt in the mirror as a ‘pin’, through the mount, and screwing a nut on the bottom. Then putting a hole in the mounting part of some big tow mirrors and some 454SS style mirrors, so I can just swap them out to the little aerodynamic ones if I’m going to be doing a lot of highway miles, or the big tow mirrors if I know I’m gonna be towing something.

Losing functions isn’t an issue, they haven’t worked in years anyway and you could rig up a quick connect wire harness too if you needed. I’ve seen this quick swap type deal on older Jeeps, to make it so they can take the mirrors off easily for tighter lateral clearance off-road. This would be that same type of thing but with other mirrors I could swap in there. I also was thinking maybe a hitch pin instead of a bolt & nut. Input on how unfeasible this is? Not sure on all the inner workings of the mirrors myself. Constructive criticism welcomed

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a truck I'm restoring: '89 K1500 Reg cab stepside. Original owner blacked it out, bumpers, grill, 454SS mirrors, TBI Whipple blower. Looked impressive back in '90, still looks modern today.
Along with the resto is a (custum built by yours truly) matching stepside bed trailer, hoping for a Long Haul Hot Rod Power Tour with my son...
It's for this reason I wish there was a slide over mirror extension (like the "94+ folding plastic ones) for those little SS mirrors.
My only "Oh, yeah!" moment came when I realized said truck bed trailer is as low profile as the actual bed on the truck.

As for O.P.s idea, I second @618 Syndicate. You ARE over thinking it. Just pick one and be done with it. On my end, I could upgrade to later plastic ones, but the dinky ones look better on a lowered, blown, AWD, 5 speed.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see why it would be infeasible, it just might not look like it does in your head lol how’s your welding and fabrication skills?

With doing bolts or hitch pins I’d be concerned with clearances, shaky mirrors are worthless.

Another idea, is drilling holes in the three mounting bolts and putting tiny clevis pins in them instead of a threaded nut.

OR, just buy three sets of mirrors and swap them out, I’m able to do mine without pulling the door panel off. I think it’s 3 ten mils.