Mirror Disassebly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased a set of replacement power mirrors for my 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 with the intension of color matching them to the paint on the truck. I can’t figure out how to disassemble them to get them painted properly. I searched YouTube and all I get is how to replace the mirror.

Need some help here.
Bump
I just tried to search the same question.
Can anybody help us answer this?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think theres just a few torx screws under the pivot? Glass pops out, it’s usually tough, you’ll think you’re going to break it.

Reaction score
Honestly, taping up the lens would be your best bet. I never fold my mirrors in, so personally i wouldnt worry about that part looks like (Good chance paint rubs off from inside of there anyway), and my friend junked both lenses on a replacement set of mirrors trying to take the lens out. They're an awful mirror to take apart.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The glue/ adhesive used is very strong. It's intended to endure extreme high low temps vibration. It looks like when the mirrors are assembled the last thing applied is mirror, like locking the door and throwing away the key. Unless the glass is broken it's not a good idea to mess with it.
So after 27 years ( bought new my parents) the drivers glass mirror started to come loose. When gently use a small dental mirror to look behind it, it fell out into my hand. Cleaned all the old adhesive off, then used 3M double side HD outdoor , 30 lb tape. Taped in same areas the adhesive was placed. Works good.