Flat towing, engine off, p/s fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Isn’t this effectively how one bleeds the PS system per the service manual?

Engine off. Turn steering lock to lock 10-20x to bleed.

Meh, fill it and run it. If it growls the bubbles should float to the top overnight and be good the next day.
Y'all wild. ;) Neither of those procedures listed in my service manual..

IMO if it growls at all, you did damage.

Not trying to fire shots, and someone here did disagree with what I posted from the factory manual, so I guess it's one of those "many ways to do it" things.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Y'all wild. ;) Neither of those procedures listed in my service manual..

IMO if it growls at all, you did damage.

Not trying to fire shots, and someone here did disagree with what I posted from the factory manual, so I guess it's one of those "many ways to do it" things.

Richard

I've never had a failure that I feel I could attribute to a fast and loose bleeding procedure. Hell, twice now I've fired up the dually (has a slow ps leak) and been greeted with a nice, loud pump growl. I was forced both times to drive it that way to get more fluid, and once it warmed up the pump was quiet again, albeit still low. So the growl isn't a guaranteed death sentence. Another example is my Z06 on track with factory PS cooler. Once it gets hot it growls, I think the fluid aerates at high RPM with a stock setup. Even a full flush with Royal Purple didn't keep the growl away, I think that car needs a remote reservoir/swirl pot to function properly on track. Same pump is in it today, silent as can be with street use. IMO the factory procedure is a bit OCD, but of course that's based on my own personal experience.