Flat towing, engine off, p/s fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I flat towed my Crown Victoria from MI to SD and from there to CA. Never had any issues, so I wouldn't expect you to either. I have seen where fluid moves around in the reservoir if you turn the wheels yourself with the car in the air, as mentioned above. Seems to me this would be emptying out the steering box? But you see geezers flat towing **** boxes behind their RVs all the time, so again, not an issue.
Most of the "towed's" I see in the RV park are front drive cars, on dollies, so the driveshaft issue doesn't exist. Some people tow Jeeps or other small 4x4s that they can put the TC in neutral. Saturn vehicles have a way of unlocking the driveline for flat or dolly towing; they're popular for towed cars for that reason.
We'll be in Rodeo season in a month, and then the park will fill up with duallies and big fifth wheel and gooseneck trailers, horse trailers with a camper section.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure any owners manual, or oem service manual will have the information you would need to tow in any configuration. Whether front wheel drive on tow dolly, or often as jeeps or other SUVs being flat towed as a four wheel trailer.
If your ps fluid is at cold level. And operating the pump, as to the tow the wheels will steer with the turn the fluid would displace from one side to the other equally.
When you cold fill to the high mark, pump runs heat expansion causes fluid level rise. If not vented it will find ( make ) a relief.
And in a four wheel drive vehicle manufacturer s have changed, modified, way's lubrication fluid moves through transmissions and transfer cases. Check the manuals do it right.
Don't be that guy, or gal in the news, towing a bonfire. Really happened.

Good luck.:grd:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I flat-towed a '93 Lumina about 70 miles. I fixed the engine, discovered that the trans had failed during the tow.

I was displeased, but it was my own fault.
Did similar with a '67 Chevelle, 327/powerglide. Car was in a minor front end wreck and not drivable; towed it with the front loaded on a dolly, trans in neutral. By advice of my dad, who had built MANY transmissions, including glides, because they were super common when he was in the business. He was "sure" that '67 didn't have a rear pump. Well apparently that's supposed to be true, but perhaps the one in my car wasn't original? We made it a few dozen miles down I-10 and saw smoke coming from under the hood. Pulled over and the fluid had been pumped through the dipstick tube and was all over the engine and exhaust manifolds. Not properly equipped to deal with this on this particular trip (old man came down with the dolly attached to a Cadillac and almost zero tools on hand), we still managed to jack the car up enough to get in there and pull the driveshaft. After getting the car to his place and fixing the crash damage (hood, fender, bumper) got the car back driving and noticed the glide had a much more noticeable whirring noise than the characteristic one we're used to. It still pulled and shifted OK, it just really let you know it was there.

Richard

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fluid just sits there not much of an issue. And like everyone else said fluid level may move up/down a little.

Now as for ford's mainly rangers, you turn the wheel with engine off they puke fluid everywhere

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I flat-towed a '93 Lumina about 70 miles. I fixed the engine, discovered that the trans had failed during the tow.

I was displeased, but it was my own fault.

This. I mistakenly followed the owner's manual of my buddies old 1990(?) Cap-rice when we had to have it towed the remainder of the trip up to his uncle's shop. I think it only had to go twenty or thirty miles, but the trans failed during the tow. So now if I need to tow an automatic, I either disconnect the driveshaft or flatbed it.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now as for ford's mainly rangers, you turn the wheel with engine off they puke fluid everywhere

Yup, that's very common on a certain vintage Ferd, and the reason for the post.
I've towed many a vehicle, just not my own on a regular basis. But those Ferds do seem to make a mess

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's very common on a certain vintage Ferd, and the reason for the post.
I've towed many a vehicle, just not my own on a regular basis. But those Ferds do seem to make a mess
And after that they seem a lot harder to bleed, even comparing to a brand new dry system