Complete tool list?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Trim, heater core (as @skylark mentioned), distributor cap nuts (OK, a Philips works too), I can't remember if the ICM in the distributor uses it too. But there's a few all around. And NO, IT'S NOT A FORD-ISM, LOL.
Blower motor screws on some 400s 95 up. That's all I've seen 5.5mm on,but it's not on all Burbs. May be a plant difference? Haven't removed or replaced some of the things Skylark mentioned. But my vortec distributor cap and rotor screws are T20 Torx. Then again, the fan nut on the water pump shaft is 35mm on my current Burb, think the other one was 36mm. Both 5.7 vortecs, built in Silao. So there are differences even in similar trucks.....
One of the tool sets I would keep in a truck would be whatever you have to use to change the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley. Together with the spare belt and other parts if you have them. Then it's all there ready to use if needed.
I've also seen that a lot of the exterior engine stuff can be handled with metric sockets and wrenches from 7mm to 15mm. Some things are different, but again, see what you need to work on your truck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear GM isn't the only ones using weird sizes.
No, it's not good. We need to start kicking these engineers in the junk until they start standardizing sizes like the Japanese do. Give me a Japanese car and an 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, and 19 mm wrenches and I'll have the thing nearly disassembled by lunchtime.