Advice for new flare nut wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so you're built like a Gorilla. Just so you Know, not everyone can rip apart a pineapple with their bare hands. LMAO
Naw, what I'm saying is I'm already worried enough about rounding off a flare nut or twisting up the line, so I'm not going animal on the wrench, don't need it to be 1' long. :)

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
20 year of crusted up and that's where I usually end up. Leverage is what the floor jack handle is for lol
If I gotta get the floor jack handle on the brake line nut I've got bigger problems than which wrench to use :rofl:

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that your only gripe on the SK? I was digging through my shelf of misc. inherited tools and discovered I had 3 nearly new metric SK's - all US-made. Leverage on small wrenches isn't a big deal for me, I'm mostly concerned with what most of us are - that they fit the nut properly and don't round it off.
The SK flare nut wrench did pretty good in that Youtube video.

I don't use mine; haven't used it in years, and only once or twice before that--it parks in my "road box" not my main tool box. I don't remember how I even got it. Probably inherited it from my wife's aunt when she died. I have several other flare nut wrenches that I've inherited from various people, or received as "gifts". In fact, because of this thread AND a side-project of mine (repairing all the drawer slides on a NAPA/Waterloo tool box set) I've discovered more off-brand flare nut wrenches in my possession. Again...I don't use 'em. When I need a flare-nut wrench, I grab one of my Snappys.
You must be registered for see images attach

and
You must be registered for see images attach

The black 18mm may be fine for aviation use, but it's worthless on vehicles--not sturdy enough, and 12-point flare nut wrenches in general are a disaster waiting to happen at least in the automotive world. Things may be different in the air where rust isn't permitted. The Bonney is one of a full set, and similarly useless. (I have a Bonney-made, MATCO-branded 10mm combo wrench that I love, and a Bonney-branded 1/2" combo that's similarly nice. Bonney was a good brand, too bad they're long-gone.) Another useless 12-point is the very sturdy-looking Duro-Chrome. By comparison, the "India 5/8--11/16" is so thin at the wrenching surface that it's just going to spread open, maybe break. A "Tool-shaped Object". I bought the Mac because I was intrigued by the "speed" end; this was before Snappy was making flare-nut wrenches with a speed end. The Mac is also not all that sturdy, and shorter than I like. The first flare-nut crowfoot I ever bought was this 18mm, specifically for getting at PS hoses at the steering gear.

I DO need the leverage of a longer wrench, and I find that I have better control with longer tools than with shorter ones. The control is at least as important to me as the leverage in many cases.

Last edited: