Swollen lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

509OBS

Reaction score
Great rules Frank Enstein! Not a big issue if you know it and take care of it in advance. A flat tire and a lug wrench that doesn't fit is gonna cost you on the road, and you know its gonna be at night in the rain.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a major problem and its not just ford that use the "beauty cap" over plain lug nuts.

And they all do the same thing, pure garbage and make my job harder all the time also the .5 over size sockets work ok for while but its best just to replace with solid lug nuts when possible

Sorry about that but made me want to rant about it

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my son's Crown Vic, we hammered a socket down on them, pulled them, and ripped the chrome foil off. They're fairly easy to get around, but we shouldn't have to. I like 'em about as little as I like GM's plastic lugnut covers.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its one of those engineering things that never was a factor until practical use found corrosion expansion, jacking, swelling trying to push the decorative trim cover off the lug nut. Increasing the O.D. I would usually have various metric and sae impact sockets to blast em off.