Flare nut detail for 1/4'' pipe - urgently needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks right to me but admittedly I've never had to mess with fabbing brake lines/fittings. Wait for someone else to confirm.
We'll know by the end of the week if they are the correct items - or not!
I'm confident enough that you're right so ordered them. Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I look here >> https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-list/1999-chevrolet-suburban-c2500/brakes/brake_lines_rear.html

I find:
''
NUT, Hydraulic Brake Pipe, NUT,REAR BRAKE FRONT PIPE(PART OF 16)(1/2 X 20 X .40)''

which was assumed to be the required part (for both ends of the hard pipe/tube).

But there's also this:
''
NUT, TUBE 7/16-24X0.36,0.30THD,0.56 LONG,1/4 TUBE,STEEL,ZINC COATED CO GM6280M(REAR BRAKE REAR PIPE)''

which has a different thread size but is listed for 1/4'' pipe/tube.
The first item is apparently 'discontinued'.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rummaging through my stash of bolts looking for bolts for pending exhaust change I found a 1/2'' UNF (20TPI) bolt and offered it up to the female and of the flexible hose. It's too large.
Applied a bit of science (thanks Wikipedia!) and worked out that the minor diameter (across the thread peaks of the female thread) should be 9.74mm for 7/16'' UNF (20TPI) and when I measured the end of the flexible hose - accurately this time, not that 10.5mm rubbish of yesterday - it corresponds to 7/16'' So, another lot of nuts ordered. I think I've got it covered now!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've got it covered now!
Thought wrong!
Fittings arrived today and the 7/16'' - 20TPI nut wouldn't go further than two threads into the old flexible hose end. With a neighbours help, cutting open the hose thread and getting a thread gauge on it revealed it to be 24TPI. More nuts ordered....

To be fair, that is what gmautopart.com list. Whether that is appropriate for both ends of the pipe remains to be seen.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To close this off and because someone else at some time may need to know the sizes they are...
Working from rear to front, the nut for the rear section at flexible hose, the nuts where that pipe joins the mid section and the nuts that attach the mid section to the front section are 7/16'' 24TPI. The nut that fixes the front section to the ABS unit is 1/2'' 20TPI.