Downpipes to 'resonator' nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
15mm wrench on the nuts, so the aforementioned 10x1.50mm. If you snap one off though, don't just try beating it out. It'll bend the flange.
That size sounds right. This was at least 15 years ago, but l recall the bolts looking like 3/8 and the hex size like 9/16. 10mm/15mm is metric equivalents, just slightly larger. Lots of 10mm bolts and 15mm nuts and bolt heads on a 400....2 socket and wrench sizes you'll always need and use.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You always go to " GM parts giant.com " . Enter your VIN it will take to parts category for your year model . Then choose what section, steering , drivetrain , body, exhaust. Then scroll through the listed parts,. Tip: it will give you the GM part number, and AC Delco number if carried by them. Also if a type of hardware the description will size it; 1/4 x 20, 4 inch stud, or 6mm x 12, 100mm bolt. Drain plug 1/2 npt with gasket.
GM and ACDelco part numbers can be sourced from multiple vendors, not just GM.
The parts may be available from GM, but the number can still be good on the after parts market.
A Lot of GM hardware, that I'm not sure about I'll use the Full parts sites, listing all parts including the no longer available parts; not the abbreviated websites that don't list all parts.
Why guess or wait for responses that may never show, or close but quite correct.
Good luck!
Bookmarked - cheers!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The muffler has arrived (but not the pipes yet) and I can't work out which way it fits.
Twin inlets and one outlet - which side does the outlet go to. I found a photo in my Haynes manual showing toward the centre (toward driver side) but the photo doesn't show if it is a single or twin inlet muffler.
Apart from lining up the tailpipe, the inlets and outlets are at different heights and that will influence the height the muffler sits depending on which way round/up it mounts. Can anyone with the above system please advise? (The schematic that showed on Rock Auto has disappeared with the listing as it was the last one and I bought it).

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
On my Burb the dual pipes are the inlet side, and the larger single pipe is the outlet (only one tailpipe).

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Is it like this? Screenshot from Rock Auto, for your Burb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617-064322.png
    Screenshot_20230617-064322.png
    344.9 KB · Views: 10

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it like this? Screenshot from Rock Auto, for your Burb.
Yes, that's it exactly. Do I trust it that the muffler mounts such that its outlet is on the driver side, towards the centre of the truck?
How did you come by the screenshot? I can't find it when I look and the one I bought was listed as the last one available. Yours is also half the price - not that that matters greatly when the shipping cost is $470!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes, that's it exactly. Do I trust it that the muffler mounts such that its outlet is on the driver side, towards the centre of the truck?
How did you come by the screenshot? I can't find it when I look and the one I bought was listed as the last one available. Yours is also half the price - not that that matters greatly when the shipping cost is $470!
Best I can remember (haven't been under my Burb in a while) the muffler sits/hangs the way the picture shows(so this could be considered an overhead view). Maybe they restocked or got a different brand in? Many wholesalers sell out of an item, then get a similar (but not exactly the same) item in. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes not.
Might've been cheaper for you to get a parts truck, rather than buying one a piece at a time (and getting hoses for shipping every time!).

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Rawhide has a true dual exhaust with a pair of mufflers (welded together with brackets on each end). That's what I've been seeing and hearing lately. With tailpipes that end just past the rear axle and holes in both mufflers, no one's going to sneak up on anyone in this truck....

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been scoping out the job of replacing the system and have a couple of questions.

Where the pipes and muffler slip together, the female pipe isn't slotted. I've never seen this without slots before. Assuming you guys have encountered this before, how do you deal with it - cut slots or does it all clamp up OK without them?

15mm wrench on the nuts, so the aforementioned 10x1.50mm. If you snap one off though, don't just try beating it out. It'll bend the flange.
Looking at mine, the 'studs' appear to be pressed in (not threaded) and one of them is so close to the cat that there doesn't appear to be room to press it out (presumably installed before the flange was welded to the cat).
Am I correct, ie, they are pressed in - and if so how can that stud be removed when it's hard up against the cat?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Been scoping out the job of replacing the system and have a couple of questions.

Where the pipes and muffler slip together, the female pipe isn't slotted. I've never seen this without slots before. Assuming you guys have encountered this before, how do you deal with it - cut slots or does it all clamp up OK without them?

Looking at mine, the 'studs' appear to be pressed in (not threaded) and one of them is so close to the cat that there doesn't appear to be room to press it out (presumably installed before the flange was welded to the cat).
Am I correct, ie, they are pressed in - and if so how can that stud be removed when it's hard up against the cat?

They're pressed in alright, I think I ended up drilling that stud out after bending the flange. Somehow it didn't leak after all that but I did beat it back the best I could.