Quieter upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '88 k1500 5.7 with 60k original miles needs a new catalytic converter and muffler. They're 35 years old, they're getting loud and everything has pin holes along the bottom center. My guess is that condensation built up and made the holes over those many years the truck was parked.

The age of the truck exempts it from emissions requirements. However, I will still install a catalytic converter even though there is no down-stream O2 sensor to keep the stink down and do my part for the environment. Plus, I may not always live in this state.

Have read many many posts and threads here about the exhaust which I summarize as follows:

Replacing the cast iron heads with headers can give you back some power. Long tube headers on a 4x4 is tough. The early TBI Y-pipe is not great and replacing it can help. Replacing the OEM pellet Catalytic Converter with a high flow cat (or 2 high flow cats) can help too. Running it from the headers to at least the cat in 2.5" is best. There is only 1 O2 sensor (single wire) and I have to put it in whatever I do.

My engine is stock and although someday I'll replace the heads, the cam and chip it, I'm focused on today.

Either I'm old, my hearing is too sensitive or I like my music too much. Whatever it is, I want to make it quieter. I don't need a rasp, rumble or anything. It would be nice if this thing were as quiet as a Tesla but that ain't in the cards so I'll settle for it being as quiet as a new Silverado.

I am planning on JBA stainless shorties, a stainless 2.5" y-pipe, a high flow cat or 2, eliminating the AIR pump and lines, and using a long muffler like the 37" Walker SoundFX 18890 or 30" Walker Quiet SS 21431. I plan on keeping the tailpipe where the factory put it, a side exit behind the passenger side rear well.

Would true duals with 2 cats and 2 mufflers be better in terms of performance and quietness?

Should I add a resonator between the cat and muffler, after the muffler?

Does anyone have any suggestions about specific mufflers to quiet this down without impacting the performance gains from headers, y-pipe and high flow cat?

Am I better off with absorptive (straight through), reflective or hybrid muffler(s) if my goal is both performance and quietness?

If true duals are the way to go, what about an x-pipe or h-pipe to scavage?

Thank you all in advance for your insights.

Last edited:

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
With dual cats and a large case Walker SS Quietflow, you should be okay. If you're going to do 2.5" from the headers, at least do a 3" tail pipe from the mufflers. Then you'll never have to mess with it again.

I had a 1989 K5 Jimmy (350 TBI) that I put a high flow cat on with a straight through 5x8x24" Magnaflow knockoff muffler, it sounded great, but was waaaayyyyy too loud. Which really surprised me as I was still running the stock exhaust manifolds.

On my 454 Suburban I run two 20" case Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers to keep the noise to a minimum.

Swapped it for this muffler and it was a nice blend of deep sound and quiet inside:

Walker Exhaust Quiet-Flow Stainless Steel 21054​

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a Walker sound fx on my dads 460 ford. It rumbles and sounds good. Can barely hear it going down the highway.

I think Walker makes a “school bus muffler”? Itsa biggun’ Maybe someone that has one will say something about how it sounds

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers and the desire for quiet doesn't make sense to me; the cast iron manifolds will be the quietest.
Headers flow better than the cast manifolds. That doesn't mean they have to be louder. What you want is less restrictions. Smoother curves in the pipe, the right size pipe for the CFMs your engine produces, etc...

There must be mufflers that flow well and don't create back pressure while also quieting the exhaust.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Walker bus muffler on my dually, dual 2.75" in single 4" out. It's not stock quiet, but it's not performance loud either. I wanted something that I could be able to talk to the family while driving and not be annoyed by the noise and it does the job.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers flow better than the cast manifolds. That doesn't mean they have to be louder.
What I'm telling you, is that headers are louder because they are extremely less good at attenuating noise due to the differences in material composition.

So, if modern car quiet is a priority for you, anything tubular might be a step in the wrong direction. Holley makes some higher flowing cast iron manifolds that might be an optimal compromise in this case. I would also consider thick wall exhaust tubing, I feel like my 14ga stuff helped quiet things down.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What I'm telling you, is that headers are louder because they are extremely less good at attenuating noise due to the differences in material composition.

So, if modern car quiet is a priority for you, anything tubular might be a step in the wrong direction. Holley makes some higher flowing cast iron manifolds that might be an optimal compromise in this case. I would also consider thick wall exhaust tubing, I feel like my 14ga stuff helped quiet things down.

Different kinda noise though. Headers let more of a tick tick through than an actual rumble that a muffler can quell.