Downpipes to 'resonator' nuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a slotted female exhaust pipe in ages. Decades, maybe.

Slide it in, use a "heavy duty" clamp to crush the outer tube into the inner. Around here, the clamps intended to seal one pipe to another have 3/8-16 nuts, a "light duty" clamp intended to hold a pipe to a hanger strap has 5/16-18 nuts.

OR use a band-clamp with a formed step in it. I have used band-clamps with no step, but it's difficult to get them tight enough to not leak some. The advantage to the band clamp is that it does not crush the tubing, so the tubes can be pulled apart later. Once crushed with a traditional clamp, those pipes are together "til death do them part".

I've used nothing but band clamps (or welding) to seal pipes for years. Still using "light duty" traditional clamps to hold the system to it's hangers when the formed-rubber mounts aren't used, though.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slide it in, use a "heavy duty" clamp to crush the outer tube into the inner. Around here, the clamps intended to seal one pipe to another have 3/8-16 nuts, a "light duty" clamp intended to hold a pipe to a hanger strap has 5/16-18 nuts.
Cheers Shurkey. I offered up the rear section pipe to the muffler outlet (just to see which slotted into which).....
Once crushed with a traditional clamp, those pipes are together "til death do them part".
..... and had to wrestle them apart - and that was without a clamp.

The system came with clamps - I'll check out the nut size.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're pressed in alright, I think I ended up drilling that stud out after bending the flange. Somehow it didn't leak after all that but I did beat it back the best I could.

Probably it can be drilled out (if necessary) but I doubt there's enough space for a bolt head between the flange and the cat. I can't envisage being able to insert a new stud (there just isn't room) - which only leaves tapping the flange for a threaded stud and I've doubts that the flange is thick enough and/or the tap can get deep enough without fouling the cat to cut a decent thread. Sod's Law dictates it will be that stud that breaks!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a head of some sort on that stud?

Seems to me I had a stud on my Trailblazer exhaust flange that broke, the stud was pressed-into the flange using some serrations on the stud to hold it in place. But there was a head on it--not a hex, just round and thin to keep the stud from pulling all the way through the flange. Popped out easily with a punch 'n' hammer. I drilled the hole a little oversize--to eliminate the press-fit--and poked a bolt through.

Broken stud on right side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Broken stud with serrations and nut pounded out, replaced with bolt, washer, nut.

Now that I think about it, the stud and nut were metric.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a head of some sort on that stud?

Seems to me I had a stud on my Trailblazer exhaust flange that broke, the stud was pressed-into the flange using some serrations on the stud to hold it in place. But there was a head on it--not a hex, just round and thin to keep the stud from pulling all the way through the flange. Popped out easily with a punch 'n' hammer. I drilled the hole a little oversize--to eliminate the press-fit--and poked a bolt through.

Broken stud on right side.

Broken stud with serrations and nut pounded out, replaced with bolt, washer, nut.

Now that I think about it, the stud and nut were metric.
Yep. that describes what I'm looking at - shallow (non hex) head and probably serrated. I just can't see space between it and the cat for removal.
A photograph would help me get the point across but the truck is on the ground and I don't have a short enough lens.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. that describes what I'm looking at - shallow (non hex) head and probably serrated. I just can't see space between it and the cat for removal.
A photograph would help me get the point across but the truck is on the ground and I don't have a short enough lens.

I had mine off the truck when I did it. I may have nipped at a cat flange or something to get more space. It's been many beers/years since I did it.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had mine off the truck when I did it. I may have nipped at a cat flange or something to get more space. It's been many beers/years since I did it.
I have a nasty feeling I'll have to remove further upstream than I intend. Tears before bedtime a distinct possibility!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Alas, I do not have one. I have been marinading them in the best penetrating/releasant for a while now though and the threads and nuts don't look to be too bad. To put it another way - I've encountered worse. Watch this space!....

I don't have an adult torch if that's what you think I meant. Some day I will, but for now I get by with a little propane job.