Advice for new flare nut wrenches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have USA Craftsman double end wrenches--which aren't long enough to get much leverage on, and Sunex crows feet wrenches which have worked great when needed.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a set of SK line wrenches. Not sure they make them anymore but you may be able to find them used on evilbay. You also need a double flaring tool set for brake,fuel and oil lines.

From what I've heard, people really like SK wrenches. I'll give them a look online and see what they go for.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have standard Snap-on and metric S-K. Both are nice. Both are over 30 years old and never an issue. Cheap flare nut wrenches can really make a mess. Not so much going together but later down the road on old stuff getting it apart.

Great Combo! Maybe I'll try both! I'm learning more and more that wrench tolerances by brand can make a big difference when it comes to loosening or tightening fasteners.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SK was purchased by a Chinese conglomerate a year or two ago. They've destroyed the company, exactly as predicted.

Older SK tools were good quality at a decent price. I still wouldn't buy their flare-nut wrenches.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got craftsman (sae) and harbor freight (metric).

My Dad and Papa (Dad's Dad) still swear by Craftsman. I've liked their regular wrenches and hav never had a problem with them. A lot of people give Harbor Freight tools a lot of s*** but I have s set of flare nut crows feet from them in SAE and have had good luck with them so far.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have USA Craftsman double end wrenches--which aren't long enough to get much leverage on, and Sunex crows feet wrenches which have worked great when needed.

Is there a good place to buy Craftsman USA? I know most of the US made tools are no longer made which makes me sad. I have a lot of modern made Craftsman tools and I like them, but I know they're not as good as the USA made stuff.

I haven't tried sunned crows feet. I have a Sunnex 22mm extra deep socket that I use for my big nuts and I like it a lot. I have a set of SAE flare nut crows feet from Harbor Freight and while HF gets a lot of s***, I've had good luck so far with the crows feet and other tools I've bought from there. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ebay for Craftsman USA, although be warned that nostalgia is driving the prices up. In a lot of instances you'd be better off with a cheaper, new Taiwan tool that comes with a warranty. That being said, I have scored a few nice NOS Craftsman USA sets, mostly super common stuff that doesn't command high prices.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SK was purchased by a Chinese conglomerate a year or two ago. They've destroyed the company, exactly as predicted.

Older SK tools were good quality at a decent price. I still wouldn't buy their flare-nut wrenches.
Yes they were--and I'm as dissappointed as you. BUT, not a thing other than ownership has changed--so far.
Current production SK tools are generally as good a Snap On as far as quailty and how their wrenches work in my experience.

SK tool steel is mostly made in Colorado Springs by a smallish foundry that is considered to make among the best steel in America. The tolerances are the equivelant of Snap On in my estimation--alll at a MUCH cheaper price. SK is using the business model of selling on the internet and skipping the middleman/retailer. There are advantages (price) and disadvantages (convenience) to it.

I do like my old SK Rotohead ratchets--although a bit bulky.......

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sunex is made in Taiwan and any enemy of China is a friend of mine......
Originally they specialized in impact sockets, have recently expanded to hand tools. When I decided I deserved a MG325 and 725 (both used) I couldn't afford Snap On or MAC prices and on the reccomndation of a couple members started buying Sunex impact sockets. No, they are not Snap On or SK quailty but they have proven to take a beating, and tolerances and design seem to be good. Sunex is probably the biggest bang for the buck currently.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they were--and I'm as dissappointed as you. BUT, not a thing other than ownership has changed--so far.
Current production SK tools are generally as good a Snap On as far as quailty and how their wrenches work in my experience.
Lotsa stuff has changed. Ownership. Location. Production. Great Star moved SK from Illinois to Williamsport, PA

Lots of the "Made in USA" SK part numbers are out-of-stock, judging by a quick look on the SK web site. Rebranding of another Chinese tool company's product is--I'm told--becoming the current strategy.

So if you bought SK three or more years ago, (Like I did!) or even right after it was sold to Great Star, when they were still selling-down existing inventory--you got good stuff. But "now" things are way different.

I don't live in Williamsport, so I don't drive past the "factory" to see what's going on there. I'm relying on others, and that's always risky.

I have an SK flare-nut wrench, it's NOT my favorite. Wrench is too short for good leverage.

Last edited: