Battery suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a battery from Advanced Auto Parts, it's the gold option, supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm not pleased. I've had other problems with the truck, most of which I've posted here, but I've sorted out a short in the stereo harness, a parasitic drain in the headlight switch harness, replaced the alternator and the starter, and I've upgraded the wiring for alternator charging, the engine fuse box feed and the ground. Even though the battery is less than a year old it loses charge when sitting idle for more than a week. I know part of this is my fault for not getting an AGM battery in a vehicle I don't drive every day, and I'm also aware that sitting for a week at a time is less than ideal but the other issue I have is that the voltage is less than predictable. While running, the dash runs anywhere between 13.5-14.4V confirmed with a multimeter. I know this is somewhat normal, but there's no rhyme or reason for the fluctuation. I'll go on several short trips while running errands and it doesn't start at 13.5 then climb to 14.4 as I run the engine and charge the battery, nor does it start high and end low as the drain from the starter, or sound system takes its toll. It appears to be completely random. Is this normal? Either way, I accidentally left my lights on for a couple of hours after I got home the other night, and it drained my battery enough to not be able to start. I feel like the lights shouldn't kill a battery that fast.

Long story short, I'm looking for a good AGM battery. I'll be upgrading to dual batteries as well, partially because it does sit idle for up to a week at a time, and partially because I have an aftermarket sound system, and will soon have aftermarket lights as well. I was thinking about upgrading to a couple of Optima batteries, does anybody have experience with these? Is there a better option? Another thing that's somewhat important is top posts. I absolutely hate only having side terminals, an option that has both side and top terminals would be a plus for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a battery from Advanced Auto Parts, it's the gold option, supposed to be pretty decent, but I'm not pleased. I've had other problems with the truck, most of which I've posted here, but I've sorted out a short in the stereo harness, a parasitic drain in the headlight switch harness, replaced the alternator and the starter, and I've upgraded the wiring for alternator charging, the engine fuse box feed and the ground. Even though the battery is less than a year old it loses charge when sitting idle for more than a week. I know part of this is my fault for not getting an AGM battery in a vehicle I don't drive every day, and I'm also aware that sitting for a week at a time is less than ideal but the other issue I have is that the voltage is less than predictable. While running, the dash runs anywhere between 13.5-14.4V confirmed with a multimeter. I know this is somewhat normal, but there's no rhyme or reason for the fluctuation. I'll go on several short trips while running errands and it doesn't start at 13.5 then climb to 14.4 as I run the engine and charge the battery, nor does it start high and end low as the drain from the starter, or sound system takes its toll. It appears to be completely random. Is this normal? Either way, I accidentally left my lights on for a couple of hours after I got home the other night, and it drained my battery enough to not be able to start. I feel like the lights shouldn't kill a battery that fast.

Long story short, I'm looking for a good AGM battery. I'll be upgrading to dual batteries as well, partially because it does sit idle for up to a week at a time, and partially because I have an aftermarket sound system, and will soon have aftermarket lights as well. I was thinking about upgrading to a couple of Optima batteries, does anybody have experience with these? Is there a better option? Another thing that's somewhat important is top posts. I absolutely hate only having side terminals, an option that has both side and top terminals would be a plus for me.

I don’t use agm batteries, I use standard, only reason is I want to be able to fix a bad batteriy as quickly and as easily as possible, I did buy my batteries from Walmart, main reason being they’re everywhere! I go camping a lot and if I have battery issues I just go to a Walmart, and after 3 years I’ve had zero issues. I’ve got dual batteries with all accessories attached to a fuse panel from the auxiliary battery except for normal vehicle operations. All my grounds and power cables are clean and done in 0 gauge OFC cables and proper lug size. All of my lights are led so I don’t have to worry about running down my battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Optima are complete garbage now IMO. They were bought out by Johnson Controls around a decade ago and moved production to Mexico. Quality control has gone way downhill since then. I killed two Johnson Controls produced Optima yellow tops in my red truck in less than a year. I wouldn't run an Optima in my vehicles if it was free now.

If you want the best on the market and don't mind paying $300 for a battery, you want an Odyssey Extreme PC1500DT. After my bad experiences with Optimas I switched all of my vehicles to Odyssey Extremes. Way better batteries than the Optimas anyway, much higher CA ratings and reserve capacity. Plus they're made in the USA. Produced by Enersys in Missouri. They also have a four year no questions asked free replacement warranty, not pro-rated. The ones in my trucks have been going for five and six years respectively, they still act like brand new.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is going to help you out

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t use agm batteries, I use standard, only reason is I want to be able to fix a bad batteriy as quickly and as easily as possible, I did buy my batteries from Walmart, main reason being they’re everywhere! I go camping a lot and if I have battery issues I just go to a Walmart, and after 3 years I’ve had zero issues. I’ve got dual batteries with all accessories attached to a fuse panel from the auxiliary battery except for normal vehicle operations. All my grounds and power cables are clean and done in 0 gauge OFC cables and proper lug size. All of my lights are led so I don’t have to worry about running down my battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree , I have had three vehicles that got 7 years out of the Walmart Maxx batteries

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is going to help you out
I caused the parasitic power drain when I left the lights on... I've already chased a parasitic power drain out on this truck. The upgraded lights draw more power, and the battery was bad. No additional parasitic draw, the first thing I tested before reinstalling the battery was total draw with key off. It was within spec.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree , I have had three vehicles that got 7 years out of the Walmart Maxx batteries
Both of these posts about the Wal Mart batteries are good, my daily driver came with one in it, IIRC the PO put it in a couple years before, and I've had it for an additional 3-4 years, and I do have a pretty decent sound system in there working the electrical system, so I know they hold up to extra load as well. Maybe I'll give one a try in the truck as well.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Super Start Extreme batteries from O'Reilly :shrug: