Dual batteries necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Looking to add a DC to AC converter to my 98 K1500 to charge power tools and to use for various other applications. Is it worth converting to dual batteries and upgrading or will the stock system be sufficient? I'd like to be able to use it with the truck's engine off but I don't want to be constantly draining the battery. If the conversion is necessary, what is the best way of doing so?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Factory system will keep the 2nd battery isolated from the truck, so if you kill it the truck will still fire up and begin to charge battery #2. They used a solenoid on the driver's fender, should be able to snag one at the junkyard.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Factory system will keep the 2nd battery isolated from the truck, so if you kill it the truck will still fire up and begin to charge battery #2. They used a solenoid on the driver's fender, should be able to snag one at the junkyard.

X2

This conversion was done / added to my 1998 Suburban shortly after we bought it. The solenoid aka "heavy duty relay" (50A perhaps in my case, I would need to check it) was mounted on the driver's side wheelwell. Power came from the stud on the fuse center near the firewall.

I would use a deep cycle / LiFeO4 for battery #2 for your application, but that's just me.

Last edited: