Battery suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a battery maintainer/ charger, but the truck is in the driveway so the 2 cars get the garage. And I'm not running an extension cord out and leaving my hood ajar, Chevy 350's are too common around here to make my truck into a live donor for thieves. If I know I'm parking it for a while, I'll pull the negative cable. It's been a lot better since the warranty replacement on the battery, so I'm going to say it was just a bad battery, possibly a bad lot, who knows?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The reason I don’t disconnect the battery is because of my truck alarm and I run the extension cord under the hood so I can close my hood completely take care.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An old parts guy told me once that one of the biggest reasons for battery failure is an inadequate initial charge. I was in the habit of just buying a battery and forgetting about it. I tried that with a Benz Diesel and the battery (despite being a really heavy duty one) would not start the car. When I mentioned it to the parts guy he said that alternator charging on the car really is not enough and he recommended overnight on a trickle charger to really get a battery started off right . I have done this ever since and my battery life has been very good.

When I got my truck the battery started it easily but would "go flat" if the truck sat a couple of weeks as trucks sometimes do. I went through the trickle charger bit with it and it has given no more trouble. Just one more thing to think about.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a battery maintainer/ charger, but the truck is in the driveway so the 2 cars get the garage. And I'm not running an extension cord out and leaving my hood ajar, Chevy 350's are too common around here to make my truck into a live donor for thieves. If I know I'm parking it for a while, I'll pull the negative cable. It's been a lot better since the warranty replacement on the battery, so I'm going to say it was just a bad battery, possibly a bad lot, who knows?

Blue hardly gets driven at all, sometimes it sits for 3-4 weeks at a time never being started, and the last WM maxx lasted 7 years, the current one has been it about three years.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An old parts guy told me once that one of the biggest reasons for battery failure is an inadequate initial charge. I was in the habit of just buying a battery and forgetting about it. I tried that with a Benz Diesel and the battery (despite being a really heavy duty one) would not start the car. When I mentioned it to the parts guy he said that alternator charging on the car really is not enough and he recommended overnight on a trickle charger to really get a battery started off right . I have done this ever since and my battery life has been very good.

When I got my truck the battery started it easily but would "go flat" if the truck sat a couple of weeks as trucks sometimes do. I went through the trickle charger bit with it and it has given no more trouble. Just one more thing to think about.
This is an excellent habit, can't remember if I did it with the battery I had the trouble with, pretty sure I did, but honestly not sure. Definitely did with the new one, so hopefully it'll last longer.

If my driveway were in front of my house where there's more traffic, I wouldn't worry about theft of my charger, or my parts, but it's in the back with much less foot traffic, and none of my windows face it. I'm not worried about my neighbors, I'm more worried about somebody happening on it while on a cruise.

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses. Thanks for your input, I'll be upgrading to dual batteries within the year, and your input will definitely be put to good use.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If my driveway were in front of my house where there's more traffic, I wouldn't worry about theft of my charger, or my parts, but it's in the back with much less foot traffic, and none of my windows face it. I'm not worried about my neighbors, I'm more worried about somebody happening on it while on a cruise.

A Harbor Freight "Driveway Alert" works pretty well for blind driveways as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard. I have a blind driveway too and it alerts to anyone around the cars.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old parts guy told me once that one of the biggest reasons for battery failure is an inadequate initial charge.

Yep, and any time you need a jump you should run a trickle charge overnight. The vehicle's charging system will not restore a full charge. Periodically, I'll throw a trickle charge anyway since my truck sits for days/weeks at a time.

Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, and any time you need a jump you should run a trickle charge overnight. The vehicle's charging system will not restore a full charge. Periodically, I'll through a trickle charge anyway since my truck sits for days/weeks at a time.
I've started doing this for a few hours at a time while I'm working on the truck, but I need to start doing this once a month for all of my vehicles to top them off and maintain the battery. Definitely longer than a few hours at a time, especially with all of the power hungry electronics I like to install.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
especially with all of the power hungry electronics I like to install.

Yeah, years ago we had Motorola 900mhz mobile radios with telephone interconnect mounted in our trucks. A battery wouldn't last 2 years if we didn't do that. Or my bag phone for that matter, LMAO.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, years ago we had Motorola 900mhz mobile radios with telephone interconnect mounted in our trucks. A battery wouldn't last 2 years if we didn't do that. Or my bag phone for that matter, LMAO.
Wow, there's a blast from the past.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, and any time you need a jump you should run a trickle charge overnight. The vehicle's charging system will not restore a full charge. Periodically, I'll throw a trickle charge anyway since my truck sits for days/weeks at a time.

Definitely a good idea and I would guess very important in cold weather. I make a point of running errands in the truck at least once a week even if I don't need to haul anything just to keep everything loose. Has anyone used the HF solar battery maintainers? I have seen them but have no idea how well they work. That might be an answer.