Power steering pump: flush or replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the pulley puller is $40. Still, worth it, especially if you have to rebuild more than one pump.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Um, I have 2 of these pumps laying around. Can anyone recommend a good source for parts or how-to video on how to rebuild them? $10 for a rebuild kit sounds appealing for me to try to rebuild them.

One of those pumps is from my previous DD I changed the pump around 140k miles. I think it was leaking on the front shaft. I did have to warranty because the steering system locked up. But I think that was my fault pouring some of that leak stop garbage because my rack and pinion has leaking. Pump was still working fine at 265k miles when I pulled the engine for a swap...

They could probably benefit from new seals?...

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
YouTube videos abound on rebuilding GM Saginaw pumps. One doesn't have to remove the pulley if one removes the internal snap ring instead. Either/Or

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The YouTube videos are really hit and miss. ETCG skips pulley removal in his video. Chris Craft recommends the wrong pulley tool because his was easy to remove. I can't find the video I followed.

The pumps are really easy to rebuild, but you're going to need the pulley tool. I built a tool to remove my pulley, and it broke. The $40 Harbor Freight tool worked great, but my pulley was stuck hard. It broke - no fault of the tool - and I had to buy a new $35 pulley.
View media item 32249View media item 32248
When it was all done I'd spent $80 on parts and tools, but I have the tool and I also have a Cadillac and a Jaguar that use that same style pump. If you're ever going to need to rebuild a power steering pump again, it's totally worth doing yourself. If you're one-and-done, buy a rebuilt pump.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure why folks insist on pulley removal. I only did it because mine was easy. Once the back of the pump is removed. Removing the snap ring accomplishes the same thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No ,one doesn't absolutely have to remove the pulley...
But ,then one must remove the snap ring at the other end of the shaft.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learn something new every day... I removed the pulley, but didn't tear down the pump internals. Basically a reseal and run.