'97 Steering Gearbox Replacement Guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crowfather

Reaction score
Good news everyone!

The micrometer worked. I distinctly was able to measure all 24 ball bearings. I found 12 balls to be between 279-279.5 thousandths and 12 to be between 278-278.5 thousandths. Very tiny difference between them but distinct across multiple measurements. Hopefully this helps somebody in the future.

After separating the balls into the two piles, I can barely see a color difference depending on the light. The darker ones do seem to be smaller, for what confirmation that affords.

crowfather

Reaction score
I finished rebuilding the gearbox tonight. I am going to tape and paint it tomorrow. Hopefully, get it back into the truck this weekend.

I can now say that I do not recommend the Plews and Edelmann 8775 rebuild kit. It doesn't come with all the o-rings and the tolerancing could be better with the seals.

crowfather

Reaction score
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but it seems my efforts were in vain.

I put everything together today. Flushed and bled the system. No leaks, but still there is way too much play on center. Seems worse than before. Not sure what I did wrong. I can see the stub shaft turn with the play in the wheel so I know the play is in the gearbox since the pitman shaft doesn't turn in this space.

I did the stub/input/worm shaft preload according to the manual (23ft-lb, back of 1/2", retainer to 80 ft-lb). Then the over center preload I just adjusted until I felt binding when turning by hand, backed off the adjuster 1/8-1/4 turn until there was no binding, then torqued the lock nut.

Last edited:

crowfather

Reaction score
So now I am back to considering a replacement.
Redhead: $316 - mixed reviews on this forum. Has a good rep with the Dodge Ram people.
Borgeson: $520 - haven't seen many longer term reviews of these
Bluetop: $??? - Did they go under? Website not functioning
Lee: $700-850 - Depending on new or rebuild service. I imagine the "new" ones are just remanned, unless somebody can confirm otherwise.
TurnOne: $100+ - Claims that rebuild starts at 100, but the prices on their full gears suggest that hikes up quickly.
Cardone: $300 - Some say they are crap, others claim no problems years down the line.
Lares: $340 - Similar to cardone from what I read. Althought somebody claimed Lares was 95% production in USA.
Edelmann: $400 - They seem to be well liked in the steering game. However, I am wary of their products after my experience with the rebuild kit. I didn't get an email back from my inquiry either. Makes me want to avoid the company.

When I line them up like this, makes me come back to trying redhead. Comparatively the price is not bad, and the warranty gives some peace of mind. If I got hat route, I am only out about $120 so far from the rebuild kit, the tool for preload adjustment, and PS fluid.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
have a fast steering box on my S10, w/ smaller than OE wheels/tires (sits low), and it’s nice :waytogo: but I wouldn't want it on the Suburban.
Does this general rule of avoiding the 12:7:1 quick steer box apply the same to 5/7 drop 1/2 ton trucks .. or at that point does it not matter .

I do know that redhead mentioned on a call that the 12:7:1 is not recommended for lifted trucks.

I am in the next stage of adding a new blue or red gear box . Ive also just lowered my suburban. It was 6” lift but completely did away with it, was to much imho on the 2wd suspension. Ended up not being a fan of the ride quality

I’m concerned in knowing since it’s a one time investment in the gear box for me… I’ve already stacked up all new mevotech ttx parts waiting to do that and the box on the same day .

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this general rule of avoiding the 12:7:1 quick steer box apply the same to 5/7 drop 1/2 ton trucks .. or at that point does it not matter .

I do know that redhead mentioned on a call that the 12:7:1 is not recommended for lifted trucks.

I am in the next stage of adding a new blue or red gear box . Ive also just lowered my suburban. It was 6” lift but completely did away with it, was to much imho on the 2wd suspension. Ended up not being a fan of the ride quality

I’m concerned in knowing since it’s a one time investment in the gear box for me… I’ve already stacked up all new mevotech ttx parts waiting to do that and the box on the same day .
The quick steer box is fine for lowered trucks. It’s not going to be an issue, you can’t flip it over.
Lowered trucks benefit from tight suspension and snappy steering.