Steering gearbox replacement/rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but it's funny this thread comes up now. I juuust pulled my steering box from my 97 for sandblasting and paint to go on the new chassis. Was wondering if it was better to reseal the one I have, or buy a replacement. Anyone have any experience resealing these things on the bench? Mine has a leak from the input shaft and I'd like to address it before painting the one I have.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but it's funny this thread comes up now. I juuust pulled my steering box from my 97 for sandblasting and paint to go on the new chassis. Was wondering if it was better to reseal the one I have, or buy a replacement. Anyone have any experience resealing these things on the bench? Mine has a leak from the input shaft and I'd like to address it before painting the one I have.
I came across this and thought it was worth consideration.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I did mine last year. Not that difficult, really.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would first do as Schurkey recommends. Then I would probably go this route:
Apparently, these guys(some), worked in Saginaw plant and now have this operation going. They do a rebuild of your original for $400.00. Yes, pricey, but I’d be more comfortable with that than a Redhead or BlueTop.
Edit: I found this link in a post from 1998_K1500_Sub
Why do you feel more comfortable with Turnonesteering than Redhead or BlueTop?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you feel more comfortable with Turnonesteering than Redhead or BlueTop?
Can’t remember who, a member here with a good reputation was talking about them. I liked what I saw when I researched them. I could be wrong but maybe it was @1998_K1500_Sub that pointed them out. Reviews on those other 2 are all over the place, like they were once good, but not so much anymore. Apparently, Turnonsteering has some of the original guys from the Saginaw plant that built them.
Some are happy with Redhead and BlueTop.

Last edited:

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can’t remember who, a member here with a good reputation was talking about them. I liked what I saw when I researched them. I could be wrong but maybe it was @1998_K1500_Sub that pointed them out. Reviews on those other 2 are all over the place, like they were once good, but not so much anymore. Apparently, Turnonsteering has some of the original guys from the Saginaw plant that built them.
Tonight I was doing research on steering boxes for my 1989 Silverado. I am going to do a complete rebuild of the truck's front suspension and I want to upgrade my steering box.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have made comments about Turn One Steering before, here. They're located in Saginaw, MI (where better?), literally across the highway from a former Saginaw Steering Gear plant off I-75 (at the Hwy MI-46 exit), a plant now used by Nexteer.

The guys that work at Turn One used to work for Steering Gear, but I'm sure that there are competent rebuilders in other places too. I used Turn One for a rebuild recently because I know people in Saginaw who used to work at Steering Gear and who know the guys at Turn One (invoice attached).

In 2009 I used a shop in California, that had a good reputation, to rebuild the gear on my father's K1500 (invoice attached), Lee Manufacturing, anchored by Tom Lee, and we were pleased with the results. But some years ago Tom Lee sold off the company and the situation may have changed.

Attachments

• Turn One Saginaw invoice.pdf
    437 KB · Views: 9
  • Lee Mfg steering invoice.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have made comments about Turn One Steering before, here. They're located in Saginaw (where better?), literally across the highway from a former Saginaw Steering Gear plant off I-75 (at the Hwy MI-46 exit), a plant now used by Nexteer.

The guys that work at Turn One used to work for Steering Gear, but I'm sure that there are competent rebuilders in other places too. I used Turn One for a rebuild because I know people in Saginaw who used to work at Steering Gear and who know the guys at Turn One.

In 2009 I used a shop in California, that had a good reputation, to rebuild the gear on my father's K1500 (invoice attached), Lee Manufacturing, anchored by Tom Lee, and we were pleased with the results. But some years ago Tom Lee sold off the company and the situation may have changed.
Bit of a long time, how you been?