Power steering pump: flush or replace?

Discussion in 'Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits' started by Vikingswithwrenches, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Vikingswithwrenches

Vikingswithwrenches I'm Awesome

On my 97 K1500, "oreo", the steering gets incredibly stiff at low speeds when I'm trying to turn, like pulling into a parking space.

Before I bought it, the truck had a whine from the pump, I checked it and had no fluid in the reservoir. The guy put some in there and the noise went away. Below ~5 MPH it's hard to turn the wheel.

So should I flush the system or just replace the pump?

stutaeng likes this.
  2. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

If it was run dry, it's probably bypassing internally causing loss of pressure and volume. IMO, time to replace and flush.

SUBURBAN5 likes this.
  3. 10mm Nut

10mm Nut OBS Enthusiast

Never replace a power steering pump until you're forced to do so. Rebuilt pumps that you can get at the parts store are mostly junk. My local OReillys has a 40% return rate on those damn Cardone pumps that everyone sells.

I'd fix any leaks and flush it and fill it with fresh fluid before I condemned it.

4. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

I had a pump that did this. It was an Advance reman and was full of clean fluid. I replaced it with a 140,000 mile virgin GM pump. Were that not an option I happened to have on hand I'd go with a Redhead/Bluetop or T1 rebuild.

SUBURBAN5 likes this.
  5. Vikingswithwrenches

That's what I'm thinking. I've expired a pump that failed and had to drive the truck home. Don't want to do that again!

6. Vikingswithwrenches

I don't know, quality with a grain of salt. I bought a reman unit years ago and never changed it out till my pump failed on my green K1500 in a parking lot. It's been on that truck for about a year and no problems so far.

Just with any reman part, there's always a 50/50 chance if it works or not.

7. Vikingswithwrenches

I looked at those and they are WAY out of my budget. A new factory one is about $170 and I don't even want to spend that much. I'll probably just rob the pump off my 4.3 K1500 since I don't really have a transmission for it...

8. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

If it's a good pump then go for it. The parts store crap isn't worth it.

Garrett Fulton likes this.
  9. ameadows7

ameadows7 I'm Awesome

I can attest to parts store pumps not being worth a shit. The only consistent problem I've had with my truck is power steering. I thought I finally had it fixed for good, was on vacation in eastern Tennessee a couple weeks ago and went to turn and heard whining, looked in the rear view and saw a huge splotch of fluid on the road. Turns out the pressure line at the back of the pump was loose, so that was an easy fix and I only drove it about 100 feet without fluid. I always carry a parts bin for long trips and I have both steering lines, a new pump, and a p/s pump pulley puller that I bring with me

10. Garrett Fulton

Garrett Fulton Newbie

I had 3 parts store PS pumps that were junk. 2 from Autozone, one from NAPA. All the same problem. The check valve at the back of the pump inside the line fitting was machined wrong and jammed open. This was a '93 C2500 6.5 diesel. The front seal was leaking on the original pump and I rented the pulley removal kit, changed the seal. Still working fine and that was 5 yrs. ago. I think all the parts store reman. PS pumps come from the same place. The guys that work there can crossthread a mayonnaise jar.

TexasMaq and east302 like this.