Power Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AvgJoe

Reaction score
Does anyone have a tried and true method of curing the almost non-existent power steering at idle? I have a 1994 K1500 with the factory style saginaw pump. Nothing fancy, no hydroboost or big tires. Still running the LT245-16s. I have changed the pump 3-4 times over the truck's life and I always have the same issue. Even with the "new" pumps. I have to hit a gas a bit to pick up the idle in order to static steer. Even at idle and creeping can be a struggle. I saw somewhere that the pump off of a G30 had better pressure at idle so that was the last one I installed. It's still the same. I have not been able to find a smaller diameter pulley or if that would even help. It does have a relatively new front end. Ball joints, ties rods, idler arm, CV shafts, hub bearings. All newish. I've always gone for the stock look but am willing to give that up to park the car in a parking spot at the grocery store without making a 40 point turn. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
What is your idle speed? Did you replace the hoses when you replaced the pump? It is possible that one of the hoses has failed internally and is causing a restriction.Are the hoses routed correctly?Do you have the proper pressure relief valve in the pump and is it installed correctly?Is your pulley slipping on the pump shaft? Is your serpetine belt tensioned correctly/stretched?

cjk04

Reaction score
Idle speed is a 750 and the hoses have been replaced. As far as the pressure relief valve, whatever was in the pump would is what I got. I never pulled it out. The tensioner has been replaced a couple times but no change. The belt also gets replaced about every 2 years. There no evidence of the belt slipping. I would think the AC compressor would be slipping but everything else seems to be okay.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know it's a pump problem and not a steering-gear problem? 3--4 replacement pumps and no change? Probably NOT the pump.

What actual diagnosis have you done?

cjk04

Reaction score
The pumps were changed due to them leaking or locking up. The original locked and literally snapped the belt before I could it shut down in a safe spot. Other than turning the steering wheel while watching the pitman arm, is there another procedure for testing the steering gear? This one isn't perfect but the mild play I have in the steering wheel is acceptable IMO. This truck does have 366K on the clock but has been very well maintained. Again, I am opinionated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pumps were changed due to them leaking or locking up. The original locked and literally snapped the belt before I could it shut down in a safe spot.
So, again: You've failed multiple pumps. SOMETHING ELSE is probably causing the failures.

Connect a proper PS pressure gauge tool, find out what's going on. Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum, follow the published diagnostic procedure.

Wild Guess with no evidence: Extreme high pressure due to a fault in the plumbing, or in the steering gear (assuming you're replacing the pressure regulator along with the pumps, and not re-using the same one over and over.)

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What tire pressure are you using in front tires. And is your tire pressure gauge accurate.