Power Steering Pump Shaft Sleeve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texasprd

Reaction score
Hello;
Searched, but definite info seems nonexistent... The power steering pump on our '95 1500 5.7 is leaking and I plan to reseal the pump, rather than get a reman or new-by-Cardone. In case of seal wear on the shaft, I'd like to have a repair sleeve available if needed. I'm having trouble finding a confirmable part number on this. NAPA shows it to be a 99076, but SKF doesn't show our truck in the application list for that number. When I look the 99076 up on other parts source sites and do a "check fit", they say it doesn't fit. The size range for the 99076 is listed as .748" - .752", so it seems compatible with the nominal 3/4" that the Saginaw pump (press-on pulley) should have.

Can anyone confirm that 99076 is indeed correct, or provide the correct sleeve number?

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

Texasprd

Reaction score
Bump - can anyone please shed light on this? I plan to reseal the pump this weekend, so time is getting short if I have to have a parts house order it. Thanks!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I cant give you the answer your looking for but If I were in your shoes, I'd ask the local parts store to stock a whole pump just in case you need to buy it to get you back on the road before Monday morning commute if that sleeve doesn't fit.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a local parts store has one on the shelf, I would mic the shaft diameter to verify that it is .750". That said, the shaft on my pump only had a light polished area where the seal had been riding for the last 24 years, and could not be felt with a fingernail. I would order the speedi-sleeve that SKF specifies for that diameter, and have a pump on deck in case anything irreparable is found.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I have not had one apart in long time. If it was an approved repair, SKF would have listed it that way. It be hard to believe this hasn't been asked before. There must be something your not taking into account for being Not Applicable.
If you want to do field trail experiment we all await your results. But have a new pump just in case.

Texasprd

Reaction score
Schurkey, SAATR, GoToGuy,
It must be a viable repair in some application somewhere on a shaft of that diameter - otherwise SKF probably wouldn't offer the sleeve.

NAPA lists it for the pump on our trucks, but SKF and other parts chains don't. Maybe the reason (the "Not Applicable", as GoToGuy says) is that the sleeve makes shaft removal more difficult - it won't pass through the shaft bushing and could require some effort to be removed. Maybe that's why it's not commonly listed. If I have time, I'll try calling SKF and asking why it isn't listed.

Since SAATR didn't have appreciable wear after almost as long in service as ours, I'm cautiously optimistic for the same.

Thanks for the replies.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course it's a repair part. SKF list as a repair for transfer case input shaft and transmission shaft repairs. Nobody said there was no use for it. If it worked that would be more sales for SKF. Have considered if it benefits them they would do it?
Have looked at a pump taken apart, or an exploded diagram of a pump ?
Oh yeah, I figured out why it isn't offered for pumps.

Texasprd

Reaction score
I didn't say it wasn't a repair part - it obviously is. When I mentioned "viable repair", I was responding to Schurkey's post where he didn't think a repair sleeve would be viable on a shaft that size. At the time, I didn't see a way to do a multi-quote reply from my phone, so I combined replies in my previous post. Perhaps you misunderstood the part of my post that replied to Schurkey.

Yes, I have looked at exploded diagrams of the pump - and I have watched several videos about rebuilding these pumps. That's why I knew, and said, that the sleeve would not pass through the shaft bushing and would have to be removed before removing the shaft.

Since you figured out why isn't it offered for pumps, please enlighten the rest of us.

Edit - further info: I called SKF. The person I talked to eventually found the seal by application, and that showed the matching sleeve to be 99076 - just what NAPA shows. SKF appears to have an incomplete application list for the sleeve - she was writing up an internal support ticket to try to get that addressed.

Last edited: