PS pump internals beyond hope? (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New young guy " what is this aluminum or armour?" Me did you use a new drill bit ? No it's just aluminum. Let's see your bit. Gave him new bit while I looked at his " new bit". As I hear him start and I examine his drill bits. I hear big zzzzzz BANG. He started the drill full speed leaned hard it and drilled the chuck into the sheet prepped for patch repair. He looks like he's seen a ghost or zombies. I can't believe you just trashed that piece, and now have make another.
This was often crisis managed service inspection, I really couldn't understand where they found , or where the bar was was set on new hire qualifications.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New young guy " what is this aluminum or armour?" Me did you use a new drill bit ? No it's just aluminum. Let's see your bit. Gave him new bit while I looked at his " new bit". As I hear him start and I examine his drill bits. I hear big zzzzzz BANG. He started the drill full speed leaned hard it and drilled the chuck into the sheet prepped for patch repair. He looks like he's seen a ghost or zombies. I can't believe you just trashed that piece, and now have make another.
This was often crisis managed service inspection, I really couldn't understand where they found , or where the bar was was set on new hire qualifications.
Manual skills are fading!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this upsets you, but I read "Oh no! Somebody else didn't train my rookie for me!"

I spent the last three years of my military career on the shop floor, acting as a shop foreman. I was ostensibly the shop chief on weekends, but since I'd moved to being a traditional reservist, I left the shop chief business to the full-time technician who ran the shop during the week.

I taught the airmen:
"how to RTFM"
"how to drill a hole"
"how to make sure your battery terminals are tight without destroying them"
"why aren't you RTFM?"
"how to tune up a Detroit Diesel"
"how to use a multi-meter"
"QA can't write you up if you RTFM and follow it"
"how to inspect, clean, and pack wheel bearings"
"how to drive safely on the flightline"
"RTFM!"

These are all basic skills that weren't taught in tech school. You gotta grow your own.

BVRPLZR

Reaction score
So I got another pump out of a good donor van at my local yard.

Having been in and around this internals of this van several times now, I can say without a doubt that it was cared for better and is in better shape than the one I currently have in my driveway…

The inside of the pump was significantly cleaner all around, but the rotor and cam ring were in similar, albeit slightly better condition.

Donor rotor in front:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I’ll clean the donor pump and re-gasket that one instead. Will report back after install.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That sounds like loads of fun! First I have heard of an oil cooled alternator. I have put a Porsche SUV alternator on one of their Cayanne V8 SUVs that was coolant cooled though. Had coolant lines with banjo bolts going to it and the housing was pretty much entirely sealed. I do not recomeend that job at all.
Oil cooled alternator/generator is a big truck thing, from "back in the day". I only ever saw them in catalogs...but when it was slow at the parts store, I'd read the catalogs. All sorts of trivia, stuck in my memory....

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil cooled alternator/generator is a big truck thing, from "back in the day". I only ever saw them in catalogs...but when it was slow at the parts store, I'd read the catalogs. All sorts of trivia, stuck in my memory....

I always remember that back then when you walked into a 'real' parts store
that there was always the 6'-8' of conjoined paper catalogs that lined the main counter.

I can still see Mr. Hubble thumbing through the catalogs & writing down part
numbers before calling his warehouses and finding out if the parts I needed
were in stock, available to order...or on backorder. :-(

And of course, I also seem to remember the (then) obligatory upside-down
used piston available for customer use as an ashtray. And the sign that
discussed the pros & cons of buying new oats vs the previously enjoyed ones...

Great memories, all. Haven't thought about this in years. Good stuff, thanks!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I always remember that back then when you walked into a 'real' parts store
that there was always the 6'-8' of conjoined paper catalogs that lined the main counter.

I can still see Mr. Hubble thumbing through the catalogs & writing down part
numbers before calling his warehouses and finding out if the parts I needed
were in stock, available to order...or on backorder. :-(

And of course, I also seem to remember the (then) obligatory upside-down
used piston available for customer use as an ashtray. And the sign that
discussed the pros & cons of buying new oats vs the previously enjoyed ones...

Great memories, all. Haven't thought about this in years. Good stuff, thanks!
Don't know about in New York, but down here, a proper parts store had a bunch of Dorman cabinets and drawers, resplendent in orange and black with the little pictures of the items in each drawer on the front, under the counter. And a real parts store had a certain aroma to it: old metal, cardboard, oil and cigarette smoke.
This was back when Dorman made all their items in the US, and some of them may have even come from the OEM suppliers.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know about in New York, but down here, a proper parts store had a bunch of Dorman cabinets and drawers, resplendent in orange and black with the little pictures of the items in each drawer on the front, under the counter. And a real parts store had a certain aroma to it: old metal, cardboard, oil and cigarette smoke.
This was back when Dorman made all their items in the US, and some of them may have even come from the OEM suppliers.

Unfiltered Camels, dust, iron, and burnt coffee seems to be the palate of the Napa that I often visited with my grandfather so many years ago. Industrial grey stools on both sides of the counter, and worn spots on the counter from catalogs, parts, and forearms sliding around all day. The institutional knowledge that has been lost over the decades is staggering. There's far more emphasis on selling SPIF's than having encyclopedic knowledge of the BWD or Ecklin electrical parts catalogs.