PS pump internals beyond hope? (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The good auto parts stores still have the catalogs. I often go to them myself in Oreilly stores.

That is how I find things like advance weight pins for HEIs or the occasional TVS for an old carb engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this upsets you, but I read "Oh no! Somebody else didn't train my rookie for me!"

I spent the last three years of my military career on the shop floor, acting as a shop foreman. I was ostensibly the shop chief on weekends, but since I'd moved to being a traditional reservist, I left the shop chief business to the full-time technician who ran the shop during the week.

I taught the airmen:
"how to RTFM"
"how to drill a hole"
"how to make sure your battery terminals are tight without destroying them"
"why aren't you RTFM?"
"how to tune up a Detroit Diesel"
"how to use a multi-meter"
"QA can't write you up if you RTFM and follow it"
"how to inspect, clean, and pack wheel bearings"
"how to drive safely on the flightline"
"RTFM!"

These are all basic skills that weren't taught in tech school. You gotta grow your own.
I see both sides of this.

I don't know about the military, although my impression is that it's even worse there than in the corporate world. There's no requirement to have vocational/higher ed training to join the military; although I think they've gotta have a GED, which supposedly is equal to a High School Diploma.

So young'n's sign up, and have zero real-life experience in whatever duties they've been assigned to.

The Corporate world is in some ways the absolute opposite of that. Potential hires won't even be considered if they don't have a Baccalaureate degree. SWMBO worked for Dayton's department store a thousand years ago. The cashiers on the sales floor ("Sales Associates") had to have a college degree. Dayton's didn't care WHAT field the degree was in--Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, "Basket Weaving"--it didn't matter. College Good--Real Life Experience Bad.

Either way, the FNGs have to be trained from scratch because they're totally unprepared for what the job truly entails. Inevitably, that means "babysitting" them, telling them what and how to do something, letting them screw up because they failed to follow directions, and then turning the resultant steaming hot mess into a Learning Experience.

This is all made worse by Government ("Job Service") sending known unqualified recruits to a company as part of a taxpayer-subsidized "Jobs Training" program. The corporation gets a tax-break for hiring folks with zero (relevant) skills, the employee gets a brand-new red carry-around tool box stuffed full of junk tools bought from the low-bidder by the State, and the guy doing the actual training gets "nothing extra" for turning these people into productive employees.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the military, although my impression is that it's even worse there than in the corporate world. There's no requirement to have vocational/higher ed training to join the military; although I think they've gotta have a GED, which supposedly is equal to a High School Diploma.
Actually it's the exact opposite. In the military, our management is all officers or senior non-commissioned officers. They've all had college-level training to do their jobs. Officers have degrees and Officer Training School, and SNCOs have at least had six weeks of NCO Academy (reserves can do this by correspondence; I did NCO and SNCO Academy in-residence). I do think they push NCOs a little too hard to get degrees instead of focusing on job competency.

Airmen all get two months of basic training and then tech school. My tech school was five months plus two weeks of air conditioning school on the back end. It's pretty intensive, but it's not hands-on in a shop. They beat us to death with electrical troubleshooting because that's the skill that most techs have the hardest time with. The downside is that the trainees come out not knowing basic shop skills. That's expected to be taught on-the-job.

Once the trainees are in the shop, there is a regimented training program for tracking their training on every piece of equipment. The problem is that trainers are usually expected to turn out more work because they "have more manpower". If a trainer is lazy the training takes a back seat to pumping work out and the trainee is used as a gopher and the training gets pencil-whipped. If the trainer is a go-getter, he has to put in twelve hours a day to ensure the trainee is on track while still pumping out all his required work and managing his additional duties *. Then he gets to go work on his physical fitness on his own time and manage other aspects of military life instead of being with his family.

That's far and above what I've seen at almost every civilian employer I've had. It was always a case of the company hiring someone who was under-qualified so they could under-pay them, and then seeing if they sink or swim. You're always led by the most incompetent @$$holes who've bounced around jobs. Boeing was the exception. Every supervisor I ever had at Boeing had the training and experience to do the job they were hired for **. It was refreshingly competent.

* In the military, you have your job, but you're also assigned "additional duties". You can be the haz-mat monitor for your shop, or an equipment custodian, or a security manager, etc. These are jobs that require a significant amount of attention to perform correctly. During inspections these get special attention, so if you excel at your special duty, you can be a dirtbag worker and still look good to your commander.

** We had one guy who got promoted for screwing the union who was incompetent at management. He got fired pretty quickly after his promotion.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The van still has the normal sized reservoir at the pump, just has the additional capacity of the remote reservoir and hose. If anything the van has more fluid available.

Also just FYI, you could use a pump off a much newer Express van, say a 2017. The newer GM pump will literally bolt right on. I did just the opposite on the 87 I put a L31 into. The pump on the 87 was in great shape and I bolted it on the Vortec braket to delete the EVO pump that was on it. The new GM pump is not much more than a reman. Might even be able to score one from the treasure yard.

You must be registered for see images attach
im surprised GM is still using the P pump on 2017 ish vans. Would make more sense if they were just to continue using the Type II (TC) pump

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I should pull this pump apart and see the rotor on it. The thing wouldnt put out assist at idle with no belt slippage lol. The fluid I flushed from the rest of the system had scary amounts of metal debris. I have a magnetic inline filter in with another used pump to help limit issues.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im surprised GM is still using the P pump on 2017 ish vans. Would make more sense if they were just to continue using the Type II (TC) pump
Vans are still hydroboost and steering gear box. I do not think the Type II has the volume needed at low rpm.