'97 Steering Gearbox Replacement Guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of people damage their stock gear box during removal, and when they send it in, they expect to get their full core refund. If you damage something on your gear box, the company has to replace it, including the Pitman arm shaft when you're trying to remove the Pitman arm. They can't keep re-use that same damaged part and pawn it off on a future customer. The future customer does not deserve that.
Yeah I get that. If I were to send one in they’d get the pitman arm too! A freebie for them, haha.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

Edit: So, I went to GMPartsGiant and plugged in 1998 Chevrolet K1500, 1998 Chevrolet K2500, and 1998 Chevrolet K3500. (I used 1998 since GM produced 1/2-ton Silverados (GMT800) in 1999, right?)

The K1500 uses P/N 26100345.

The K2500 uses either a P/N 26100345 or a P/N 26100335. The determining factor is the GVWR. RPO code C6P, which is 8600 lb. GVWR, uses the 26100335. RPO code C5Z, which is 7200 lb. GVWR, uses the 26100345.

You must be registered for see images attach

The K3500 uses the 26100335.

If you look on here, you can see all the parts that differ between the two steering gear boxes. For example, they have a different “rack kit” in each one. Many other parts differ as well. So, yes, I don’t doubt they would each bolt up to the frame, but the performance will differ. I cannot in good faith sell my 3/4-ton steering gear box to someone who has a 1/2-ton unless they state they are looking for a 3/4-ton steering gear box.

Upon a quick review, these are the parts that I observe as being different:

# seal kit, steering gear Pitman shaft
# valve kit, steering gear
# bearing kit, steering gear stub shaft
# plug, steering gear housing
# seal kit, steering gear end plug
# rack kit, steering gear

The valve kit and rack kit almost certainly create a performance difference somehow.
On gmpartsgiant.com it shows GM 26052912 as correct for my 96 K1500.
On this site, that part shows fitment for all 1500/2500/3500 up to 1996.
^^^If you scroll down and click “What This Fits”/More it shows all the fitment.
These sites can all contradict each other too. But, I have seen a ton of stuff showing the same part for all.
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redhead: $316 - mixed reviews on this forum. Has a good rep with the Dodge Ram people.
With shipping and the core charge it's about $500.

The thing I’ heard is redhead try’s to say a (core) the core you send back is not rebuildable.
These trucks are 25-35 years old and most were abused. I didn't send a core. I'm pretty sure they're going to be very picky about what they rebuild. I would be, too. I would only be upset if they're not paying core charges, and then rebuilding the "bad" cores.

Any company can use anything as a say so situation to avoid having to pay out core costs.
As a consumer you gotta just say ok I agree or fight about it.
Done properly, core charges are not "sales". You offer a high enough core charge to encourage the customer to return their old core, because it's economically worth it for you. You are offering a minor refund because the value of the rebuildable part is even higher. It doesn't make economic sense to offer more than the core is worth.

Many years ago when checks were still a thing, I went round and round with a O'Reillys manager who didn't want to give me my core charge for two weeks until my check for the original part sale cleared. He couldn't understand that the core was worth more. That store didn't make another sale to me for several years.