GM Tech2 Clone Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope...didn’t know it had a clock but haven’t run into anything that made me think that it needed it.

Glad you got it running.

Just out of curiosity I tried setting the clock again. Sure enough, that brought back the RTC failure on POST. Set it back to Jan 1, 2000 and all is well. According to Google this is common and due to the fact that the clone Tech 2s have hacked firmware.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still curious about that garbled screen output during POST... @east302 Have you ever seen that or does yours look normal?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is always normal, hadn’t seen that before. Surprisingly, everything has worked on it so far.

There’s always next week, lol.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I'm happy to report that I got a chance to hook it up to my Suburban today, and everything seems to be working great!

And unhappy to report that I have some stored DTCs in the 'burb even though they aren't triggering any lights. Now I get to worry about more stuff. :lol: Not complaining though, I'm thankful to have the proper tech to see all that stuff now.

EDIT - Random side note, when I connect it to a vehicle that garbled POST screen data displays like it should.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine says fail on startup for RTC but it works and I can set the clock. Someone on another forum mentioned theirs did the same thing. My startup screen results are always across the page and I've seen others show the same.
I think the cheap ones from fleabay are returns that have been repaired. It works as it should AFAIK otherwise though.