GM Tech2 Clone Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welp... It's failing self tests. Sent an email to the seller just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong but I read that part of the manual pretty closely. Looks like this one may be a dud.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Specifically the RTC (Real Time Clock) is failing in POST, and the TPU (Time Processing Unit) is failing the VCI self-test.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I fixed the RTC fail by resetting the clock to Jan 01 2000, but the TPU is still failing. I have a feeling that the seller is going to offer me a replacement VCI but these issues do not bode well for the quality of this unit IMO. I'll probably end up asking him for a refund and buying from a different (slightly more expensive) seller.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Well I fixed the RTC fail by resetting the clock to Jan 01 2000, but the TPU is still failing. I have a feeling that the seller is going to offer me a replacement VCI but these issues do not bode well for the quality of this unit IMO. I'll probably end up asking him for a refund and buying from a different (slightly more expensive) seller.

You must have my luck. Everything I have bought or tried to buy over the last two months has been nothing but a hassle.

Oh and F@%& Jegs (just had to throw it out there)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think @96-2D-Hoe had a similar issue, maybe he has some input. Mine works fine, guess I got lucky with it.

I'd be interested to hear if either one of you guys have noticed this... When I power mine up the POST data is all over the screen, like so.

You must be registered for see images attach

Once it hits the main screen everything looks fine though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So... Turns out in my infinite wisdom I actually had the loopback adapter for the VCI installed improperly. I looked up a few Youtube videos of people running the self tests and realized my mistake. I just tried everything again with it hooked up properly and all tests are now passing! Looks like it may not be a dud after all.

@east302 Have you ever messed with the clock on yours? I'm tempted to try setting it correctly again as it's just sitting at 00:00 Jan 1, 2000... But I don't want to mess anything up and I don't see any reason it would actually need to be correct anyway.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope...didn’t know it had a clock but haven’t run into anything that made me think that it needed it.

Glad you got it running.