Fuel pump (UGH)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did it tank drop style in the gravel. Very little rust on the underside of my rig, so I didn't have that to contend with. All the fasteners came out with a standard shot of penetrating oil.

My secret to getting the tank back in was to use a combination of a cinder block and floor jack, with tires fully deflated on the passenger side. I laid the cinder block on its shortest side, and hiked one side of the fuel tank onto it. Then I jacked up the other side. Then I lifted one side of the tank, and flipped the cinder block up onto a taller side. Jacked it up a little more. At that point I could lift one side of the tank again and get the attached bracket to sit in the frame rail. Jacked it up a little more. Then I got the bracket in the right position and it was pretty much home at that point.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me started.....never mind....I am started.

Pussification of America and selling out, P*I*S*S*E*S me off.

I see China on a part and I freakin' cringe and go off.
i avoid at all cost and search for original parts. I put a NOS Walbro and NOS GM sending unit in mine. FWIW, the Delphi FE0114 that was installed by dealership when truck was purchased in 2020 lasted about 2 years.

Anchor

Reaction score
I work out of my driveway about 2-3 times a week and just turned 71. I use some 4x8 3/8" thick mats to lay on and is fine. At 6'4" tall and 280, I still get around just fine, thankfully. I have a tall lift floor lift and tall 6 ton stands. Have done a few fuel pumps but if was in the rust belt, I would not even attempt it. PITA.

What part of Oregon are you in? I am in Eugene area. I did wrench and run shops in KC, Mo. at one time and dealt with rust, all the time. Then in 96, moved here and it is Nirvana with no rust here.

I would trust the Delphi pump assembly.
Hi Movievet; Glad to hear you like the Delphi. I am over between Portland and the coast out in the sticks. Holy cow-- 6ft. 4 and 280- I sure hope I don't back into your truck in a parking lot! Seriously, will keep up with you on the forum. We are close enough to share bargains etc. that come up.

Anchor

Reaction score
@Anchor, you around Tillamook, Beaverton or Hillsboro area?

I do prefer Genuine GM 1st and AC Delco 2nd but Delphi is my 3rd choice.
I got that fuel pump today and just came in from shop putting it in. Only had to drop it back down once to tighten the vent hose clamp. We are about 30 miles from Tillamook. Not as far as I would like from PDX. I'm glad I did not choose to be a mechanic for a living. My swearing and grumbling would have got me fired a lot I fear!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got that fuel pump today and just came in from shop putting it in. Only had to drop it back down once to tighten the vent hose clamp. We are about 30 miles from Tillamook. Not as far as I would like from PDX. I'm glad I did not choose to be a mechanic for a living. My swearing and grumbling would have got me fired a lot I fear!
There is a certain "method to the madness" of how mechanical and electrical components are installed and work and I liked that, if I wanted to leave a job as a tech/mechanic or service advisor/manager, I could and find another whenever I wanted to. I had a mechanic, in one of my shops, that would get mad enough at certain tasks and would throw his tools. Broke a w/s once. That was his last day. I have truly opened up some jobs and seen craziness about the design of it all but conquered it, just the same. At rates I like, here at home, I do just fine.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I live farther away from PDX and even that is not far enough. I hate driving thru that area, on the way north to my girl's property at Port Susan, Wa. It is a cesspool area. Eugene is a lesser example of the same. I do want to move to a coastal area before I die but unsure if ever will happen.