Fuel pump issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97silverdoe

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks for the replies on my last post those helped a lot. I’m having a different issue with the fuel pump now. Let me explain quickly what went down.

I just had gotten off the highway and hit a red light. I had the tunes cranked up and didn’t realize it but to my surprise when I went to push the gas nothing happened. The truck had died. I tried to fire it up again but it just cranked and sounded like it was starving for fuel.

After pushing it to the side of the road I listened for a fuel pump with the key in the on position but didn’t hear anything. I checked the relay and put a new one in about 30min later. The truck started for about 30 seconds and then died (after putting a new relay in).

I then left it overnight and let it sit. The next day I went back to tow it and it to my surprise it fired right up. Only thing was a heard a fuel pump this time.

The truck drove home just fine no issues. I’m curious if anyone has experienced something similar. I’m thinking maybe a grounding issue or maybe the fuel pump is actually going bad. I’m thinking the next step is to test my fuel pressure.

Sorry for the long message. Maybe you all have some ideas for me to try. The truck is a 1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with the 5.7 v8 in it. Has about 235,000 miles on it right now. Thanks!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wondering if you have a fairly large system and it drew enough voltage out of the system that it cut the fuel pump voltage enough to kill it.

I may be way off base (no pun intended) but I know when I had my big system in mine, that voltage gauge was definitely dancing along with the music. And definitely at a stop with the brake on, in gear and low rpms, the gage stayed low unless I turned it down or revved the motor a bit.

When I do reinstall the system, I'm definitely adding a capacitor and upgrading the "big 3" stuff.
Definitely worth checking out the health of your electrical system. Check the pump voltage without the stereo and try and recreate the scenario where it shut off.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell I had a buddy had a Tahoe it would die going down the road. He would pull over knock the hell out of the tank and get in fire it back up. I ain't sure if he ever replaced the fuel pump.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @Schurkey said, a fuel pressure test is a great idea. I would run a hose out back of hood and tape the gauge to w/s and watch to see what happens. If it does die, like @Deancr11 friend did, tape on bottom of tank and see if starts right away. So many times, that is a sign of a failing fuel pump.