Fuel pump (UGH)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anchor

Reaction score
Sitting here in Pacific time zone licking my wounds from a project. I want folks to know how much I sympathize with those who have to change fuel pumps. I picked up a month or so ago a 1992 GMC Sierra regular cab short bed, not running but a pretty solid K1500. Someone had done a pretty nice engine for it with hydraulic roller and roller lifters. Not a wild cam but I think they were looking for torque, which suits me fine. Guy I got it from gave up on it and just wanted out. It would run but terribly and the crossover and cat assy was laying in the bed. I trailered it home and went to work looking for problems. #8 exhaust valve was stuck open. I found it with initial compression test. My immediate thought, home run! Freed up valve and got 175 in all eight holes. I put the crossover back on along with cat and a muffler and started searching. After looking on line at a thousand posts by people who had changed every sensor, switch, wires, plugs, ecm's, and on and on and on I determined to trouble shoot and avoid that trap. I even picked up a Snapon MT 2500 on line. Wasn't showing any codes or obvious problems. Brick didn't zero in on anything. Every person responding to these horror parts changing fiascos said, CHECK FUEL PUMP111. Finally, after avoiding it I Went to Harbor Freight and for $39. got a tester that had the magic tee for the fuel line to filter and tested it last night. 5LBS with key on and running, kind of. Now for the crux of the story. I'm fortunate enough to have a lift in my shop and this job still sucks. My heart goes out to the guys who do this in the driveway on jack stands! With a lift, good lighting and a transmission jack it was still a less than joyous experience. I have got it all apart and the pump will be a few days in shipping. Both grounds back there were installed on painted surfaces and it is amazing they ever worked. Then a while ago I got to thinking, What if my harbor freight FI tester is defective and only goes to 5 lbs? Why couldn't the GM engineers have made that pump and sending unit go in from the side or end of tank? BTW I ordered the pump through Summit at what appeared to be a very competitive price. My local parts house experience has gotten so bad I have almost everything shipped except oil, antifreeze, and transmission fluid. Plus we are a long way to town. So many questions, so little time! Anyway enjoying the forum even though I have some difficulty maneuvering around to where I want to go. Cheers to all.

Anchor

Reaction score
Did you get a new sending unit as well as pump? What brand parts? I didn’t think it was too bad in driveway, but it was summer.
Yes, I got the whole setup. It is Delphi 10000. I hope it was wise choice but really don't know for sure. People used to cuss Delphi but I think their quality has improved. In all honesty part of the reason I couldn't do the driveway approach is I have gone and gotten old. Strange how that happens!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, I got the whole setup. It is Delphi 10000. I hope it was wise choice but really don't know for sure. People used to cuss Delphi but I think their quality has improved. In all honesty part of the reason I couldn't do the driveway approach is I have gone and gotten old. Strange how that happens!
I work out of my driveway about 2-3 times a week and just turned 71. I use some 4x8 3/8" thick mats to lay on and is fine. At 6'4" tall and 280, I still get around just fine, thankfully. I have a tall lift floor lift and tall 6 ton stands. Have done a few fuel pumps but if was in the rust belt, I would not even attempt it. PITA.

What part of Oregon are you in? I am in Eugene area. I did wrench and run shops in KC, Mo. at one time and dealt with rust, all the time. Then in 96, moved here and it is Nirvana with no rust here.

I would trust the Delphi pump assembly.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did WestPac on the Kittyhawk in '77. Fun times.
I was in from 71 to 75. Draft number was 2, so I joined the US Navy because my dad was in the Navy during Korean War.

If you ever visited the photo lab, for I.D. pics or whatever, that was my work space. I was a Photographer's Mate E4. They just finished tearing Kitty Hawk apart in Brownsville, Tx. There are videos of the process on you tube from a guy who did drone videos of it.

Don't know if you ever heard of them but I was there during the race riots and the big engine room fire that took place on the Kitty Hawk.

Hopefully you had as much fun as I did in the Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Australia.....etc.