Fuel pump (UGH)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time just tip the bed and install the pump from the top. It is a lot less hassle to do compared to dropping the tank.

I can’t imagine doing it any other way…

unless the bed is loaded with “stuff” that complicates removal, like big fuel tanks, sprayer equipment, salt/fertilizer spreader, etc.

There’s a ground wire from the taillights to the frame that may need to be removed. It’s easy to forget.

On my 1995 SCLB S10 it was a breeze.

On my Suburban though… I assume a tank drop would be easier.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I can’t imagine doing it any other way…

unless the bed is loaded with “stuff” that complicates removal, like big fuel tanks, sprayer equipment, salt/fertilizer spreader, etc.

There’s a ground wire from the taillights to the frame that may need to be removed. It’s easy to forget.

On my 1995 SCLB S10 it was a breeze.

On my Suburban though… I assume a tank drop would be easier.
Yup on a Burb you gotta drop it.....
I didn't get any pictures when we did ours, but the neighbor who helped me had done the job recently on a family member's Burb so he knew what was needed. We jacked up the back of the Burb, high enough to get jack stands on concrete blocks under the axle. Looks like a lot of room...but I'm here to tell ya we needed every bit of it.
Having a transmission jack would be a great help, unfortunately neither of us had one. So we had to balance the tank (with ~15 gallons of gas still in it cause we ran out of buckets to put gas in and pumps always die on a full tank!) on two floor jacks and our arms to keep it from tilting. Was a huge job, but we persevered and got it done. Having the Burb start right up, without me giving it some gas, was well worth it!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pumps always die on a full tank!

I had just filled my 34 gallon tank.

Yup... "failed" on a full tank, pretty common. But why? I heard a reason once and it made sense, but I've forgotten.

IIRC it's got something to do with the static pressure from the extra depth of the fuel in the full tank.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup... "failed" on a full tank, pretty common. But why? I heard a reason once and it made sense, but I've forgotten.

IIRC it's got something to do with the static pressure from the extra depth of the fuel in the full tank.
So a pump can fail because of extra depth? Are 34’s any deeper or just longer?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5LBS with key on and running, kind of... ...Why couldn't the GM engineers have made that pump and sending unit go in from the side or end of tank?
They don't want the gasket to be below the fuel level with a full tank.

With the pump on top, the gasket might see some fuel slosh, and fuel vapor, but no constant exposure to liquid fuel under gravity pressure.

I've pulled the bed, and I've dropped the tank. The jobs are roughly comparable at least the first time--it sucks. With everything reassembled using anti-seize and fresh hardware where needed, either one could be the easy route the second time...but I lean towards pulling/lifting the box, especially if that doesn't include taking the box completely off.

You must be registered for see images attach