Battery drain - cause?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just do what you have to do, one day at a time. I'm lucky that I have a job, but my employer has several people who are out(some sick, some maybe just lazy)so my boss is giving me extra work. I didn't want to be working on my truck on mother's day, but looks like I probably will be. First world problems, I know. It's just frustrating.....
On the good side, I got to take my mom for mother's day lunch yesterday, and we got to dine in for the first time in 2 months. I almost forgot what it was like to do that.
Pinger, glad you finally figured out what the deal was with your truck. One of the things I learned from dad was that sometimes you have to do something what turns out to be the wrong way, to figure out how to do it the right way. Thanks again for your kind words and assistance. I may just have to tackle the manifold gaskets myself, later on this year. First I need to do the oil change and front pads, didn't get to them last week because of work. I want to see what's still making noise in the front end after I paid for that to go away....It usually happens when going over speed bumps, so it's straight up and down movements. I'll do the check with the long board and see what it does. Then I have an idea what to fix next....

Talk about being taken for a walk with that meter......
Still haven't figured exactly the sketch with dizzy re-install after manifold gasket replacement but there's some useful stuff appeared here that gives me the confidence to do it. Looks like I have a leak, looks to be from the manifold area and as I wont be paying someone else to do it... You and me both by the looks of it. All I have over you in facilities is a tarmac over gravel. You'll be fine - just don't drop anything!

You guys are being allowed to visit restaurants already? We are still a long way from that (though there will be an announcement on Sunday possibly easing things). At least you got to see your Mum - seeing family and friends is what everyone here is missing too.

Truck fired up no problem at all. When I had the opportunity to probe fuel supply this morning it started on gasoline perfectly. Lets see what it does tomorrow! My dome lights come on sometimes even with the override switch depressed - hmmm.

You have speed bumps too - PITA stupid things. What's the 'long board check'? And what pressures do you run your tyres at? Mine are way too high and relative to them the options in the door jamb seem low. So I've not changed them yet - and my doors still rattle. I get to drive it tomorrow though!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Still haven't figured exactly the sketch with dizzy re-install after manifold gasket replacement but there's some useful stuff appeared here that gives me the confidence to do it. Looks like I have a leak, looks to be from the manifold area and as I wont be paying someone else to do it... You and me both by the looks of it. All I have over you in facilities is a tarmac over gravel. You'll be fine - just don't drop anything!

You guys are being allowed to visit restaurants already? We are still a long way from that (though there will be an announcement on Sunday possibly easing things). At least you got to see your Mum - seeing family and friends is what everyone here is missing too.

Truck fired up no problem at all. When I had the opportunity to probe fuel supply this morning it started on gasoline perfectly. Lets see what it does tomorrow! My dome lights come on sometimes even with the override switch depressed - hmmm.

You have speed bumps too - PITA stupid things. What's the 'long board check'? And what pressures do you run your tyres at? Mine are way too high and relative to them the options in the door jamb seem low. So I've not changed them yet - and my doors still rattle. I get to drive it tomorrow though!
Well we live together, she and my brother and myself, so I get to see her plenty-- some times more than either of us want at the moment. But most of the time we get along nicely. The state is allowing restaurants to have dine in customers at a rate of 25% of normal capacity. The Mexican restaurant we went to, we were the only ones inside besides the staff. Supposedly in a week, if the numbers haven't gone the wrong way, it will be increased to 50% of capacity. Hair and nail salons were allowed to reopen this week, but one customer and stylist at a time. And it's legal now for the salon to serve alcohol to customers, they just can't charge them for the drinks. But bars and music venues are still a ways off from reopening yet. That's what I am really waiting for; I have many friends who are working musicians that haven't been able to do gigs for a couple months now.
The Houston city government is trying get things reopened too, but they want to take this a little slower than the state government. We are the 4th largest city in the country though so some caution is warranted.
Anyway, glad things are going well for you ,enjoy the drive!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think we are in the same place with our government keener to get everyone working again but workers wary about their safety. Suspect the financial support will be withdrawn which should focus minds. Interesting times!
Gigs will likely be the last to get resurrected - for obvious reasons. You're obviously missing them. I would be too if I still earned a living from them.

Truck was good today. Did have the no-start on gasoline once but otherwise better for last week's work. Steering wheel on straight helps and brakes much better. I bled the fronts and opened the wee valve on the ABS unit and though I couldn't pump the pedal I think it did good. Initially nothing (visible) emerged (air?) but after a few prods I saw fluid. Whichever of the bleeding was most effective I don't know but the pedal is firmer that before - result!

Edit PS.
On the no-starts - the EML lit up - but soon went out. Mind you, by what I've read on this forum, there's something wrong with my truck if the EML doesn't light up for no obvious reason!

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I think we are in the same place with our government keener to get everyone working again but workers wary about their safety. Suspect the financial support will be withdrawn which should focus minds. Interesting times!
Gigs will likely be the last to get resurrected - for obvious reasons. You're obviously missing them. I would be too if I still earned a living from them.

Truck was good today. Did have the no-start on gasoline once but otherwise better for last week's work. Steering wheel on straight helps and brakes much better. I bled the fronts and opened the wee valve on the ABS unit and though I couldn't pump the pedal I think it did good. Initially nothing (visible) emerged (air?) but after a few prods I saw fluid. Whichever of the bleeding was most effective I don't know but the pedal is firmer that before - result!

Edit PS.
On the no-starts - the EML lit up - but soon went out. Mind you, by what I've read on this forum, there's something wrong with my truck if the EML doesn't light up for no obvious reason!
The "long board check" is covered in post #12 on the Lounge thread "Sh#t happens " from kennythewelder. It's for checking the front end out. My truck is still making noise under the front end and I need to see what it is. After paying $300 to have the shocks done (all 4) and they said that was all it needed, I don't want to hear any more squeaking!
Yes I've seen that about the light! Mine behaves 98% of the time. When it comes on, then I go see my friend at the parts store and she puts the computer on it and it says what's going on. When the left front O2 sensor finally went out last winter, that's how we knew for sure that's what it was. The light would come on for a day or two, then go off. Then it stayed on for a while, and our annual state inspection won't pass you if that's on. Then once l knew it was that sensor, I could get it and replace it. Well, needed a little help with that, but that's another thread. I really want to start a build or maintenance thread for this truck....
One of my friends in Austin who is a musician has good reason to be concerned; he's 75(though the sturdiest 75 year old man l know),the guys he plays with are all around his age, and most of their fan base is older too. We stay in email contact, and I know if he's getting nervous, it's not a good thing. I know when I was out of work before, it bothered me, and I sure missed the $$ coming in. Still had lots to do around the house, but wasn't getting paid for it....glad to hear your Burb is behaving! I'll be working on mine tomorrow, extra real job stuff today.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "long board check" is covered in post #12 on the Lounge thread "Sh#t happens " from kennythewelder. It's for checking the front end out. My truck is still making noise under the front end and I need to see what it is. After paying $300 to have the shocks done (all 4) and they said that was all it needed, I don't want to hear any more squeaking!
Yes I've seen that about the light! Mine behaves 98% of the time. When it comes on, then I go see my friend at the parts store and she puts the computer on it and it says what's going on. When the left front O2 sensor finally went out last winter, that's how we knew for sure that's what it was. The light would come on for a day or two, then go off. Then it stayed on for a while, and our annual state inspection won't pass you if that's on. Then once l knew it was that sensor, I could get it and replace it. Well, needed a little help with that, but that's another thread. I really want to start a build or maintenance thread for this truck....
One of my friends in Austin who is a musician has good reason to be concerned; he's 75(though the sturdiest 75 year old man l know),the guys he plays with are all around his age, and most of their fan base is older too. We stay in email contact, and I know if he's getting nervous, it's not a good thing. I know when I was out of work before, it bothered me, and I sure missed the $$ coming in. Still had lots to do around the house, but wasn't getting paid for it....glad to hear your Burb is behaving! I'll be working on mine tomorrow, extra real job stuff today.
I like your maintenance thread idea, to add on that, we should start a thread about all the things to check out when you first buy a GMT400.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I like your maintenance thread idea, to add on that, we should start a thread about all the things to check out when you first buy a GMT400.

Yep you can either fix it from time to time or make payments for something that may not still run by the time it's paid for

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep you can either fix it from time to time or make payments for something that may not still run by the time it's paid for
True. With mine I can tell it was pampered the majority of its life, but the last owner really did a lot of shoddy "upgrades". New head unit with improperly connected harness. New front speakers, Sears brand. Trailer wiring just ran along the bottom of the frame, free to snag on brush and debris. Just dumb stuff like that.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes some folks in my area think they have a Custom because they put cheap dubs and those stick on port holes on their rides. IMO if it ain't a Buick or a REAL CUSTOM it doesn't need venti ports. But then my daddy taught me what a real kustom looks like LOL

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score

The tires on my truck usually run at 35 psi, unless I'm going loaded to a show. Then I run them up to 40 on the back and 38 on the front. Your truck being a 2500 series, it's probably got LT series light truck tires that are 10 ply and run around 75 psi. It should have a specified amount in the owner's manual handbook for the size tire and load range. When I get done with work I will look at my manual and post it.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I checked the owner's manual for the tires and it refers you back to the sticker on the driver's door. My truck no longer has this (we speculate that it had a quickie repaint on that door and the sticker got painted over or removed). I did find a fuel tank spec and a page on our friend Mr. Passlock. Hopefully they will attach...
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach